Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112
Results 1,111 to 1,119 of 1119

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    It may have been answered here before, but has anyone had light strike/QC issues with the .38 Special UC? Or is this purely a .32 phenomenon?

I meant to specify in my last comment I was talking about the .32s. Reports with light-strikes seem to be mostly related to that caliber (?), but I could be wrong.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    It may have been answered here before, but has anyone had light strike/QC issues with the .38 Special UC? Or is this purely a .32 phenomenon?

After my post and now SwampDweller's - with no response, I'm feelin a bit better.....so far.

In all fairness, I gotta admit it's obvious patience has never been one of my strongest attributes.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    I can think of no reason that a 32 revolver cartridge fired in a J frame would have ignition issues. Like the 38 Spl, this cartridge head-spaces on its rim. The 32 cal cylinder is simply the 38 Spl cylinder drilled for the 32 cartridge. If ammo is not the cause, I suspect that the firing pin mechanism might be. The pin itself may be too short. Its location in the frame could have a burr interfering with travel. The cylinder revolves around the crane which must be fitted to the cylinder. If too short even slightly, then the space between cylinder and frame is excessive. A weak hammer spring can affect ignition.

I select the firing pin mechanism as the cause. However, it's possible for two or three variables to interact. For this reason, I advise against monkeying with J frame actions. I realize that the op has a new revolver. Too, we must remember that manufacturers outsource many parts, especially small parts. They buy these in giant batches, and variability exists within batches.

The last two J's that I bought had firing pins that dragged on the channel. The pin produced sparks noticeable during dry firing. Otherwise both were good specimens. I decided not to use warranty repair because I feared that they might mess up something else. I shot them until the problem went away.

The J frame does not tolerate alteration. Shoot it until the piece smooths out. Leave factory parts in the gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    After my post and now SwampDweller's - with no response, I'm feelin a bit better.....so far.

In all fairness, I gotta admit it's obvious patience has never been one of my strongest attributes.
    Join the club on the patience thing. I'm an impulsive buyer who is willing to buy something new when it hits the market.

(which is funny because I'm a procrastinator for just about everything else...)

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Finally got my 632UC out to the range. Lives up to the hype IMHO. This thing handles and points very well for a J frame. Light recoil impulse. Tigger pull comparable to my other J frames with APEX trigger kits installed. I might polish the internals at some point but it really isn't that critical. Love the high horn grip. Fits my hand well. Could use a little texture. The sights are perfect. Very happy with this revolver so far.

Fired 50 rounds of Lost River 100 grain poly coat full wadcutters with NO MISFIRES

Fired 66 rounds of handloads using MBC 98 gr poly-coated DEWC's over 2.8 grains HP-38/W231, Starline brass and CCI primers. I used CCI primers because they are reputedly the hardest and most difficult to ignite. I experienced NO MISFIRES
    I have had several misfires in other J frames with APEX trigger kits installed using CCI primers so this is notable.

Here are pictures of the first groups I fired off-hand at 12 yards. It took a few shots to figure out the hold. Drive the dot worked but completely obscured the target. Targets are on 8 X11 inch paper for perspective:

HANDLOADS

Lost River Ammo

For reference, I weighed the revolver empty, loaded, and loaded in a Sticky Holster. ( Note: The rear sight snags up occasionally on the trim piece sewn around the opening of the Sticky Holster. Not good. Mika Holsters have been ordered!)

EMPTY - 16.7 oz

LOADED with Lost River Ammo 18.8 oz

LOADED in Holster - 20.0 oz
    For reference:

340 with 405's a sticky pocket holster and 148GMM 15 oz
    G42 with soft pocket holster, 7 HST2 deep 16.5 oz
    G43 7 124 GD soft pocket holster 21.5 oz. (friends gun not weighed on my scale)
    365X with 11 (state rules) 124's kydex holster 24.5 oz

Site Supporter
    Name:  DSCF0888.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  68.5 KB

There was a break in the rain this morning so I ran another 60 rds through my UC at 8 yds and a pretty quick pace and some on steel at 15-20 yds. So far, I'm at 140+ rds since putting in the Apex kit with nothing but good results so far, the trigger's settled in at a little under 9lb's. I wrapped up today with a few 110gr Winchester Silver tips, function has been 100%

I’m carrying my 442 out for the second time today. It spent six weeks at S&W to be repaired after taking it new, from the box, and discovering it to be out of time. It’s had 100 rounds through it since getting it back. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    4Given:

Yes. I used a Mika pocket holster for a traditional S&W J frame. The new ultimate Carry ("UC") sighted guns tend to snag a bit in the older holsters. I contacted Mr. Mika who was already aware of the problem and has a solution. He is making me a new holster that has the internal stiffener repositioned to accommodate the sights of the UC models. I suspect that Mr. Mika's "fix" will work fine.

Mr. Mika by the way was very responsive to my concerns and a joy to deal with.

Hopefully that addresses your concerns.

Bruce
    Folks:

An update to my earlier response. I have received my new pocket holster from Mr. Mika. The changes he made to the design addressed my concerns about the snagging issue with the 442/642/432/632 UC revolvers. I hope that helps.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Probably should have posted this here, but I put a box of S&B .32 Long wadcutters through the 632UC yesterday. 100% ignition, good dents on the primers.

I visited three gunshops, nobody has anything other than .32 ACP. One shop told me that they had sold three of the the UC guns so far and they have a waiting list, so they'll probably start stocking it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List