Page 98 of 107 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

Got my 632 this week. I put a deposit down right after release and the dealer just got it.

Shot 26 rounds Lost River .32 Mag 100 grain WC and 50 rounds PPU .32 Long 98 grain LRN. No issues with the revolver or ammunition.

Both cartridges were comfortable with the excellent grips. You can definitely tell the .32 Mag is cooking by comparison though, but no discomfort when shooting the aluminum airweight (I have been shooting J frame airweights in .38 special since 2005).

Sights and trigger are great upgrades.

Here are some targets:
    Name:  IMG_0498.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  46.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0497.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  41.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0500.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  73.2 KB

Picked up a 432UC a few days ago and just got back from the range. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

About 75 rounds fired with light strikes in almost every six-round cylinder fired. Ammo was approximately 25 rounds of LR .32 H&R, 25 rounds of Magtech .32 Long and 25 rounds of S&B .32 Long. All three ammo brands had numerous light strikes. Every round that didn’t pop fired on the second attempt, save for one which took three strikes.

I’m not blaming the ammo as a brand new gun should be able to reliably pop primers in at least one brand of commonly-available ammo.

Does anyone know if S&W uses a reduced power hammer spring in the UC series? If so might swapping it out for a standard-weight spring help, before I go through the RMA process?

RE: Post 972

This is not good to hear. My 432UC was received and it's awaiting me to pick it up next week. I was hoping any & all bugs would have been worked out in the last 2 months they've been out.

While there are some good reports coming out, I'm so sorry for your experience and I'm really hoping mine will be good-to-go once I get it next week.

I don't know if the hammer/main spring is different from others or not. If you already have another hammer spring available or one to temporarily cannibalize from another working J-frame, that should be an easily swapped part. Otherwise, I'd contact S&W or Lipsey's and get your 432UC fixed or exchanged.

In my experience, S&W has even reimbursed for any re-DRoSing fees if a new gun is the fix.

I've no idea how a fix would even be made to a new revolver for light strikes unless one of the parts is seriously out-of-spec

(as in the cylinder totally machined too short, or firing pin and bushing not allowing adequate protrusion of the firing pin tip; brainstorming, I really don't know what could be wrong).

I bought a new Lipsey 442. When it came in the front sight showed absolutely no glow in the dark. The gun went back to the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Picked up a 432UC a few days ago and just got back from the range. What a disappointing pain in the ass.

About 75 rounds fired with light strikes in almost every six-round cylinder fired. Ammo was approximately 25 rounds of LR .32 H&R, 25 rounds of Magtech .32 Long and 25 rounds of S&B .32 Long. All three ammo brands had numerous light strikes. Every round that didn’t pop fired on the second attempt, save for one which took three strikes.

I’m not blaming the ammo as a brand new gun should be able to reliably pop primers in at least one brand of commonly-available ammo.

Does anyone know if S&W uses a reduced power hammer spring in the UC series? If so might swapping it out for a standard-weight spring help, before I go through the RMA process?
    I would try an Apex J frame Duty/Carry kit. Use the springs that come in the kit and install the longer firing pin as well. That will likely solve the problem for $30. assuming you don't have to pay someone for installation. If you didn't want to do that a stronger hammer spring would help. However, I like the slightly longer Apex firing pin and have had it fix occasional ignition issues in another J frame that I own.
    Last edited by SWAT Lt.; 05-05-2024 at 07:32 AM.

Personal experience with 4 UC revolvers. Three were .32s and one .38.

The .38 had a slight hitch in the trigger return for the first box of ammo or so. Then that went away. Opened the sideplate on the .38 and there was no obvious lube in place.

All are a definite cut above the typical J-frame. Highly recommend.
    My apologies to weasels.

I have been wanting to add another J for a while.....seems like it will be a while longer

Nothing has been "sorted out" as this is still the first run so likely all parts were made prior to any assembly.

The trigger has "new geometry" so hard to say if an Apex kit or new spring can be used

To me when some are having ignition issues and some aren't it's kinda like some Glocks run on xyz mag and some don't. In other words not fit for serious use (yet?)

The UC's have upgraded parts but not upgraded QC. So at this point, just like with the regular 42 series, anticipate a trip or two back to S&W to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    ..UC's have upgraded parts but not upgraded QC. So at this point, just like with the regular 42 series, anticipate a trip or two back to S&W to get it right.
    Especially with revolvers, this is why I wait until the local dealer has a few that I can examine. Then I can pick the one that came out of the factory made to spec.

These are nice little guns. My 442 had a broken front sight, I reached out to Jason of Lipsey’s and a new blade was in my hands in a day or two! Great response, thank you Jason.

I hope S&W offers these sights on all the J’s. They need to work on a Hogue BOOT grip that covers the backstrap all the way up. Just make sure they hit to point of aim, and have decent triggers out of the box. Offer this on base models even if it is a bit more price wise.

I would love to see a DAO Model 12 with the Lipsey magic. 2” and 3”

I was pretty happy with this group from 9 or 10 yards. I would have been even happier if I had been aiming at the 1 and not the 2.

Had several more light strikes with Lost River and Hornady ammo. I’ll be reaching out to Lipseys or S&W.

User Tag List