Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus 327 Defender TORO

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    It is listed on Taurus' website as a small frame revolver; it appears to be the same frame size as the Taurus 856. I'm looking forward to an alloy frame version.

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...-defender-toro
    That makes sense. It means they fit six .327 mags into a gun that otherwise takes six .38s (and can only handle five .357 mags). Obviously it doesn't have the extra round advantage you get with smaller .32s compared to analogous .38s, but the 856 holding six .38s was already something of an accomplishment that took some design work. And the other advantages of the caliber are still there, and it may actually be a decent gun to use actual .327s in if you have an application for that.

If nothing else, it makes sense as a slightly larger belt gun companion to the airweight .32 snubby.

Edited to add: So the obvious answer if .32 is your thing is to buy one of these and also one of the new S&W 432/632 options and have all your carry revolver needs covered.

I’m not a .32/.327 fan. But I’m still excited about this model because it takes us (I think/hope) one step further in “normalizing” important features on wheel guns - easily replaced front sights and red dot mounting options. I hope that one day S&W wakes up and smells the frigging coffee and comes out with something similar. It’ll cost more, but people would buy it.

Wake up, S&W. I’ve never heard anyone say, “man I wish S&W would release a stainless lever gun.” But I’ve heard a bunch of people begging for updated 3” K and L frames.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Kudos to Taurus for producing items like this.

I wish .32/.327 was more common, as I think a six shot revolver loaded with the proper .32 load might be the ideal gun for non dedicated/hand strength issues individuals.

Site Supporter
    I always felt like the 856 goes everywhere and does everything the J frame does...but better. Holds an extra round, has a replaceable front sight etc. An 856 makes more sense as a 3" gun with a RDS in .38 special as opposed to .327 unless you really want a powerful magnum option I guess?

But I hear .32s are really accurate and I sorta wanna see what one can do with a red dot. At this stage in my life...only accurate pistols are interesting.

I've been carrying the 3" 856/38SPL for about a week and it is noticeably smaller than a K-frame, just a tiny bit larger than a J-frame, and it fits a unique size and barrel length combo with 6 rounds. I would rather have one in 32 Mag with 7 shots in this platform, but 32 is probably going to be my old man gun sooner or later anyway. This one will probably be a bit heavier than 38 with the smaller "holes", and with the lighter ammo will probably recoil significantly less.

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I've been carrying the 3" 856/38SPL for about a week and it is noticeably smaller than a K-frame, just a tiny bit larger than a J-frame, and it fits a unique size and barrel length combo with 6 rounds. I would rather have one in 32 Mag with 7 shots in this platform, but 32 is probably going to be my old man gun sooner or later anyway. This one will probably be a bit heavier than 38 with the smaller "holes", and with the lighter ammo will probably recoil significantly less.
    What you just described is what the 856 is in terms of size a Colt D-Frame.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What you just described is what the 856 is in terms of size a Colt D-Frame.
    Yep, D-Frame/SP-101/K6s size...

Site Supporter
    Given the Rossi RP63 is a 357...is there a chance Rossi brings out a 7 shot 327?

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    It is listed on Taurus' website as a small frame revolver; it appears to be the same frame size as the Taurus 856. I'm looking forward to an alloy frame version.

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...-defender-toro
    Thanks! The posts putting it in size context to the Colt D frame got me all cleared up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Thanks! The posts putting it in size context to the Colt D frame got me all cleared up.
    And for me, as well.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List