View Poll Results: What's in your Cylinder? (Multiple Choice allowed 3+1 Categories given)

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of my Magnums actually get Magnums anymore

9 15.00%
  • Mid recoil 125 gr Golden Saber

12 20.00%
  • Mid Recoil 125 gr Critical Defense

1 1.67%
  • Full Power 125 gr SJHP

7 11.67%
  • 135 gr Critical Duty

6 10.00%
  • 145 gr Silvertip

15 25.00%
  • 158 gr SJHP

10 16.67%
  • 158 gr Hydrashok

2 3.33%
  • New Kid on the Block 154 gr HST

3 5.00%
  • Something Heavier or Hardcast for Woods/Animal Defense!

9 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your .357 Magnum Carry Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    Comparing your data to my data...

Federal .357 Magnum 154 grain HST (your data) vs Winchester .357 Magnum 145 grain Silvertip (my data)

Federal HST (your data)
    Bare Gelatin 15.5" Pen / .65" Exp
    Heavy Cloth 16.0" Pen / .59" Exp

Winchester Silvertip (my data)
    Bare Gelatin 15.3" Pen / .55" Exp
    Heavy Cloth 16.4" Pen / .58" Exp
    OK, back to the topic of .357 Magnum...

Although the .357 Magnum HST and Silvertip data above is similar, the HST is a bit better. Add to that the obviously better bullet design and function, and the HST would make a better choice for self defense. I would change my vote, if possible, to reflect my thoughts.

I am seeing the .357 Magnum HST available on about 30 websites. I am considering a purchase.

My ammo has the blue primer seal, I think I may have been looking at older data than I thought I was looking at ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Current data I gave vs old Vista le data?
    You can belive the data I gave

Or tested yourself Organic 4 layer?
    On cell now so not easy to compare

And I'll have to look up Winchesters data on the 145 silvertip

HST and punch
    New stuff blue...older stuff I have I think was either clear or red not positive without being home to look.
    The color of the sealant doesn't have anything to do with the age, just whatever machine they were using.

Current data I gave vs old Vista le data?
    You can belive the data I gave

Or tested yourself Organic 4 layer?
    On cell now so not easy to compare

And I'll have to look up Winchesters data on the 145 silvertip

HST and punch
    New stuff blue...older stuff I have I think was either clear or red not positive without being home to look.
    First question is yes, and I have to admit I had no idea the P9HST2 load had been changed until yesterday. I also am glad it was changed, I prefer 13 to 14" penetration over 12".

Please let me know what you find on the .357 Silvertip, more info is welcomed.

My older 9mm HST has no visible sealant, my newer (6 mos, roughly) has blue sealant.

I'm wondering if anyone has checked out the 158 JHP XTP from High Desert Cartridge. DB mentioned them on his Facebook page, because the 158 TMJ practice ammo matches it.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

First question is yes, and I have to admit I had no idea the P9HST2 load had been changed until yesterday. I also am glad it was changed, I prefer 13 to 14" penetration over 12".

Please let me know what you find on the .357 Silvertip, more info is welcomed.

My older 9mm HST has no visible sealant, my newer (6 mos, roughly) has blue sealant.
    I trust federals QC and primers more than modern day winchester. Not sure if modern is as fast as old and old data.
    Hst will do better vs barriers I am sure and animal defense

Hst has stout recoil. Fine for 3-4" steel guns over 30 ounces not for 21 and under oz stuff.

Winchester was good on bipeds and likely dog/cayote not for bears/moose.

There is winchester fbi and other data on old Silvertip it's very good terminal ballistics but depending on needs yes hst is modern brand new. Still, under 30oz not in bear/moose country Silvertip heavy recoil but not as much as hst.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has checked out the 158 JHP XTP from High Desert Cartridge. DB mentioned them on his Facebook page, because the 158 TMJ practice ammo matches it.
    I emailed him to ask about the velocity from a 4" barrel, and he replied that it's ~900 fps. That would be really nice for my 4" M19 if it expands at that velocity. If it doesn't, I'd be afraid of overpenetration. I haven't ordered any yet.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I trust federals QC and primers more than modern day winchester. Not sure if modern is as fast as old and old data.
    Hst will do better vs barriers I am sure and animal defense

Hst has stout recoil. Fine for 3-4" steel guns over 30 ounces not for 21 and under oz stuff.

Winchester was good on bipeds and likely dog/cayote not for bears/moose.

There is winchester fbi and other data on old Silvertip it's very good terminal ballistics but depending on needs yes hst is modern brand new. Still, under 30oz not in bear/moose country Silvertip heavy recoil but not as much as hst.
    My .357 Magnum is a 4" barrel Ruger GP-100 at/near 42 ounces, IIRC. The Silvertip recoil is not an issue at all, so not concerned about the HST.

Agree about Winchester to a degree...

My .357 Magnum is a 4" barrel Ruger GP-100 at/near 42 ounces, IIRC. The Silvertip recoil is not an issue at all, so not concerned about the HST.

Agree about Winchester to a degree...
    There you go, HST is the better modern bullet so order some and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I emailed him to ask about the velocity from a 4" barrel, and he replied that it's ~900 fps. That would be really nice for my 4" M19 if it expands at that velocity. If it doesn't, I'd be afraid of overpenetration. I haven't ordered any yet.
    Don't 158 xtps need 1150-1200 fps to expand?

Site Supporter
    Don't 158 xtps need 1150-1200 fps to expand?
    My Hornady 7th Edition manual shows that bullet with a "muzzle velocity range" (no definition given) of 700-1400 fps. Lucky Gunner's gel testing using Clear Ballistic gel (yeah, I know...) showed expansion to .50" at 1082 fps. Since the clear gel is said to (read: the interwebz sez so) understate expansion, it would seem that there's some room for expansion at less velocity. I couldn't find anything that says that it does, though.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List