Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next steps for a beginner

A good dry fire plan goes a long way

Personally for me acexr has been huge

I love dry fire and do a fair amount of it especially the week before a match. But the limitation is whether my eye view can actually determine a hit or not. When wife and I live practice, we are very aware of how much ammo we use. My wife, since she only shoots one match and one practice per month, will sometimes start w/ a 10 rnd mag and run through it just to get back in the groove a bit. Other than that, every round we shoot has a specific practice purpose. IE; we often load 2 in a couple of mags. Draw, empty mag 1, reload, empty mag 2. There, using just 4 rounds, we practiced a draw, a reload, and 4 hopefully hits. Sometimes we do that w/ a single target. Other times we have a 10ft and a 30ft target so we have a chance to see how we need to change our technique a bit to hit the further target. Also, on subsequent runs, we will change which target we hit first. BTW we use paper plates taped to a 15-18 inch cardboard so we can see our misses. After doing some runs standing still we start setting up so we move. A target or 2 from a position, move to another position, and hit 1 or 2 more targets. My point w/ all of the above is, with 2 boxes of ammo, and some thoughtful planning, you can get a heck of a lot of practice in.

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    A good dry fire plan goes a long way

Personally for me acexr has been huge
    Have you found a way to objectively measure gains with Ace?

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Have you found a way to objectively measure gains with Ace?
    I do a good amount of live fire but will almost never dry fire no a day's besides draw practice

My transitions on a timer have gotten much faster since ace. Gun is the same as before p365 xl macro with optic.

Bigger benefit for me has been I will actually do it unlike dry fire

ACRXR now has FAST!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    When you decide to start training, I’ll suggest the team at MDFI. I’m guessing you’ll find classes in your area. They’ll help you set you on a solid path to well rounded competence.

https://www.trainmdfi.com/

Replace gun with super blaster? Nah. At some point you may find the concealment limitation of a full size gun and decide to supplement with a gun that’s more conducive to the role.

I’ll recommend that you stockpile as much ammo as you can afford. Ideally enough to get you through the next couple years. We are entering what will likely be a very contentious election cycle that is almost certainly going to bring about major price increases and unavailability. Buy in bulk online for best deals. A couple hundred rounds your defensive rounds and lots of FMJ practice ammo. If I had limited finances, I’d probably place my financial priority here. A stash of at least 5-10k rounds is a solid target *ahem* to get you through the next ammo crisis. Most people won’t do this, so class enrollment we dwindle, which you’ll be able to take advantage of, as you see fit.
    +1 MDFI

+1 hit the gym (cardio and strength training)

+1 BJJ

+1 ECQC south narc

+1 local IDPA & USPSA

+ 1 buy ammo and get trigger time

+1 Mas Ayoob , Ben Stoeger, Tom Givens - books

Be humble, be safe its a long journey, have fun
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    ACRXR now has FAST!
    This probably needs its own thread. I hit a 154 then as soon as I hit record, I fumbled 2 runs in a row and then hit a 147.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    This probably needs its own thread. I hit a 154 then as soon as I hit record, I fumbled 2 runs in a row and then hit a 147.
    We could totally start a acrxr thread!

User Tag List