Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monroe County DA (NY) "going off on cop during traffic stop"

Not surprising as Narcissistic Karenism is the new American religion.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, there's another career down the toilet.

First thought:

Stop arguing with people that want to argue. You don't have to convince her of anything. It just makes life easier.

There's a great video from years ago...Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, somewhere like that I think. The motorist is going nuts with verbally venting their anger at the trooper, and the trooper doesn't react. When the person finishes a sentence, he simply gives his next command with a flat, toneless voice. The motorist takes the ticket and throws it out the window, and the trooper flatly says something along the lines of, "Sir, that's littering. If you don't pick it up I'll have to issue you a littering ticket." The motorist keeps screaming while getting out and getting the ticket, and then driving off. It was such an amazing display of wearing an emotional rain jacket.

Second thought:

This reminds me of when we were working on a small military base, and the PMO gave us one of their radios to put in our command post. When officers and SNCOs, and worse...their spouses...acted like this with the MPs conducting traffic stops, they had the habit of keying the radio so that everyone could listen. They did it so routinely that I think it was an SOP so they had witnesses about their conduct (there were no body cameras).
    It's still played in academy.

Site Supporter
    There's a great video from years ago...Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, somewhere like that I think. The motorist is going nuts with verbally venting their anger at the trooper, and the trooper doesn't react. When the person finishes a sentence, he simply gives his next command with a flat, toneless voice. The motorist takes the ticket and throws it out the window, and the trooper flatly says something along the lines of, "Sir, that's littering. If you don't pick it up I'll have to issue you a littering ticket." The motorist keeps screaming while getting out and getting the ticket, and then driving off. It was such an amazing display of wearing an emotional rain jacket.
    Maine State Police. They’re pretty proud of it.

"You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Well, there's another career down the toilet.

First thought:

Stop arguing with people that want to argue. You don't have to convince her of anything. It just makes life easier.

The video was originally in the lineup of the 'In the Line of Duty' monthly training video series. Later it hit the internet.

It was in Maine. The Trooper had one of the first in car cams in the agency because he had received numerous complaints.

Initially it was seen by many as an officer exercising admirable restraint - apparently they were unable to see that the officer was baiting him - later it turned out that the officer had made the initial approach with the body cam off and agitated the guy. We he returned to the vehicle with the body cam running he expected the guy to be out of control and, therefore, he would have a chance to play professional demeanor. That was his idea of professional behavior.

This video was useful to show how 'tone' is a reflection of a person's attitude and that the actual words used are secondary to the tone of voice used to deliver those words in conveying the attitude of the speaker. This is turn, often determines how the others involved respond to the speaker.

There were also numerous officer safety violations during this Troopers 'model' traffic stop.

The story goes that shorter thereafter this officer was let got after several substantiated complaints by female motorists. IDK if that is actually true.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I'm kind of curious why the officer didn't point out to the DA that regardless of whether she thought the officer was stopping her or another motorist, the law requires her to yield to an emergency vehicle by (in most jurisdictions) pulling over and stopping as far to the right as is practical.

Another observation is that the 'why are you mad, I'm just doing my job' verbiage is generally ineffective.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List