Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need New Tires for my Minivan

I Need New Tires for my Minivan

I have a feeling that the dealership will overcharge me, so were should I go? The car is 20 years old, with a quarter-million miles, so I don't need super-duper twin-turbo dual-chrome-racing-ashtray tires, just general-purpose ones that will work decently well in winter.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Guerrero; 05-07-2024 at 09:44 AM.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Discount Tires. I have used them a few times for older vehicles. Costco usually has good prices as well.

If you have a membership, I would order from Costco. If they don't have what I need at the store, I order it on their online store and have it shipped there free. Of course they don't offer exotic or high performance tires. It is an easy process.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Discount Tires. I have used them a few times for older vehicles. Costco usually has good prices as well.
    Agree, I have been using them(Discount Tire)for over 20 years for all my tires. Very competitive pricing, great selection and service. For a little extra you can buy a certificate for each tire you buy. It’s a get out of jail free card, no matter what happens to your tire if it is no longer serviceable they well replace it for free, no matter if it is your fault or road damage(you still have to pay all the taxes and government fees of course, no way around that). My last set of tires I bought for my truck are halfway through their mileage life, two have been replaced with new tires and one has been patched do to a nail. The certificates have saved me over $700 in tires, all of it road or trail damage.

Site Supporter
    I have had good luck with both Discount Tire and Costco fitting tires on a 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport and an 05 Honda Mini Van.

My retired mechanic's go to budget brands were Kumho and Hankook
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Regarding tire brands. On my Sienna van (which eats tires for breakfast) I've had best luck with the Michelin defender tires lasting longer than some others I've tried (like General Altimax).

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Agree, I have been using them(Discount Tire)for over 20 years for all my tires. Very competitive pricing, great selection and service. For a little extra you can buy a certificate for each tire you buy. It’s a get out of jail free card, no matter what happens to your tire if it is no longer serviceable they well replace it for free, no matter if it is your fault or road damage(you still have to pay all the taxes and government fees of course, no way around that). My last set of tires I bought for my truck are halfway through their mileage life, two have been replaced with new tires and one has been patched do to a nail. The certificates have saved me over $700 in tires, all of it road or trail damage.
    I’ve used Discount for 20+ years too. I always get the certificates too. It saved me a ton on my daughter’s cars when they were new drivers. If I replace one of the Jeep’s tires it pays for all the certificates. There are Discounts everywhere around me so if you have any issues you can find a store. I like the free rotations too.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Another vote for Costco or America's Tire/Discount Tire, but I wouldn't thumb my nose at Walmart either.

And another vote for Michelin Defenders, but if you wanted to save a couple bucks I'd also take a close look at Yokohama Avid Ascend.

Michelin Defenders - from whoever has them the cheapest - It won't be Discount Tire, unfortunately.

I'd go Costco or order from TireRack - you can select an installer and have them shipped there and make an appointment for install as well. I typically use Firestone for installs, because I also use Firestone for lifetime alignment, oil changes, and any repair work I don't have time/space to do myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Michelin Defenders - from whoever has them the cheapest - It won't be Discount Tire, unfortunately.
    DT offers a price match program: https://www.discounttire.com/custome...rice-guarantee

User Tag List