Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Need New Tires for my Minivan

Closest Discount Tire is about 25 miles, in an area I don't go often. Is it worth it?
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Closest Discount Tire is about 25 miles, in an area I don't go often. Is it worth it?
    In my experience - they cost the same as Tire Rack + Paying for install. And thus the value isn't there.

They do offer their guarantee certificates which cover tire replacement for road hazards. But you now have to buy those certificates (they used to be included with tire purchases). They also are only good for 3-years, when they were once-upon-a-time good for the lifetime of the tire until < 3/32" of tread. They have lifetime balance and rotation, but you again have to pay for it up front.

Tire Rack includes a two-year hazard replacement with tire purchases. Honestly, as good as tires have gotten, I haven't needed any tire work in years, besides rotating and balance. I just have it done when I have the Firestone guys change my oil. It costs a whole $12 extra...

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Regarding tire brands. On my Sienna van (which eats tires for breakfast) I've had best luck with the Michelin defender tires lasting longer than some others I've tried (like General Altimax).
    Me, too. I have used Michelin Defenders ever since the first replacements except for the time I was out of action and a friend took it to Costco for a lower end Michelin.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Probably not worth it for you unless they had some crazy deal. I like them because they are close to me, available in most cities across the US, include lifetime balance/rotation, and use torque wrenches to do the final tightening on the lugnuts (they do use torque-stick limiting impacts to spin the lugnuts most of the way on).

But most of the big box places also offer lifetime balance & rotation and about half do a manual final torque too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    In my experience - they cost the same as Tire Rack + Paying for install. And thus the value isn't there.

They do offer their guarantee certificates which cover tire replacement for road hazards. But you now have to buy those certificates (they used to be included with tire purchases). They also are only good for 3-years, when they were once-upon-a-time good for the lifetime of the tire until < 3/32" of tread. They have lifetime balance and rotation, but you again have to pay for it up front.

Tire Rack includes a two-year hazard replacement with tire purchases. Honestly, as good as tires have gotten, I haven't needed any tire work in years, besides rotating and balance. I just have it done when I have the Firestone guys change my oil. It costs a whole $12 extra...
    Pretty much this. There’s a lot of shops that can try to shop you the best price. You can go to Costco but I’ve towed vehicles from them that didn’t have a a reason for a wheel of event. Couldn’t say that when I had Firestone or any of their subsidiary in the area.

Site Supporter
    You should partner honestly with a local shop who cares and has the ability to change tires. Not every shop nowadays has that ability. You might pay more but you won’t be screwed

User Tag List