Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good videos on teaching the draw stroke/press out

One element of a close to the body and high presentation that’s not often discussed is drawing in confined and crowded space such as a vehicle interior. Any high horizontal obstruction will kinda force you to table your draw and run more of an L.

Start at 4:48 in the video

One more.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Thanks.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Lifting the gun to your eyeline because a straight line is faster than drawing an L which is what you're doing when you draw then press out
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I agree that running the hypotenuse of a triangle is undoubtedly faster than running the two legs, given the same speed.
    While both those are true, in and of themselves, they don't exist in a vacuum. In our context, you have a weight at the end of your arm. And therefore mass, inertia, and Newton's laws of physics come into play (an object in motion tends to stay in motion). Throw in your arms/joints being levers/fulcrums, et al. With the L-shaped draw, you can only come up so high before your arm is fully compressed. Then you can only extend until your arm is at full extension. Whereas running that straight line or hypotenuse from the holster to the target, the only thing starting and stopping movement is the muscles in your arm coupled with your hand-eye coordination. Try experimenting with different weighted items and see how you fair.

Or I may be high on bat guano.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd2110 View Post
    Agreed. We teach our agency the Shivworks/Kelly McCann style draw. It was taught a long time ago and the purpose was it fit with what cops may be doing no matter where we find ourselves. This could be behind the steering wheel, sitting at a table, standing and close in to a suspect, as a two person team stacked behind a shield and so on.

This, too.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I dislike the L shaped draw or any step-by-step draw method as taught by lots of agencies and instructors. The L shaped draw method was not ideal at the time it was popular, and it's even less so for shooting with RDS, as it complicates finding the RDS under stress.

I train the index draw 99% of the time, which is the fastest and most efficient way to get your gun in a fight. I think it's a fallacy to think that just because that's how you practice, doesn't mean your brain won't modify as needed for the situation. I straddle the tactical and competition world more than almost anyone else in the country. I am in situations in force on force training all the time where I can't do a full index draw, whether that's fighting in and around vehicles, rolling in jiujitsu with guns and attempting to deploy them under adversarial resistance, or drawing in competition stages where I'm sitting at a table or pressed up against a wall and have to draw immediately into a port in front of me. Practicing a standard index draw has never caused me to hit the wall, hit the table, or draw the gun to extension when someone is grappling me for the gun. Why would I artificially retard my draw stroke by adopting an inefficient movement pattern to account for a fraction of scenarios where that draw stroke might not work, especially if it's a non-issue because my subconscious will make the adjustments I need anyway?

To answer the original question, this video of Ron Avery is one of the best I've seen:

https://youtu.be/PE1goTyuW_k?si=-a4OoOgevlNFpz5c

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I dislike the L shaped draw or any step-by-step draw method as taught by lots of agencies and instructors. The L shaped draw method was not ideal at the time it was popular, and it's even less so for shooting with RDS, as it complicates finding the RDS under stress.

I train the index draw 99% of the time, which is the fastest and most efficient way to get your gun in a fight. I think it's a fallacy to think that just because that's how you practice, doesn't mean your brain won't modify as needed for the situation. I straddle the tactical and competition world more than almost anyone else in the country. I am in situations in force on force training all the time where I can't do a full index draw, whether that's fighting in and around vehicles, rolling in jiujitsu with guns and attempting to deploy them under adversarial resistance, or drawing in competition stages where I'm sitting at a table or pressed up against a wall and have to draw immediately into a port in front of me. Practicing a standard index draw has never caused me to hit the wall, hit the table, or draw the gun to extension when someone is grappling me for the gun. Why would I artificially retard my draw stroke by adopting an inefficient movement pattern to account for a fraction of scenarios where that draw stroke might not work, especially if it's a non-issue because my subconscious will make the adjustments I need anyway?

To answer the original question, this video of Ron Avery is one of the best I've seen:

https://youtu.be/PE1goTyuW_k?si=-a4OoOgevlNFpz5c
    I agree with you. The index draw method is indeed more efficient and better adapts to various situations. Your experience in such diverse environments is valuable and supports the argument that consistent practice of this method is key in real-life scenarios. Thanks for your clear and informed perspective!

Thank you all for the information and tips. I recently started learning how to shoot with a pistol myself. And by the way, The index draw method is indeed more efficient and better adapts to various situations. Your experience in such diverse environments is valuable and supports the argument that consistent practice of this method is key in real-life scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think it's a fallacy to think that just because that's how you practice, doesn't mean your brain won't modify as needed for the situation.
    The highlighted part is what I want to focus on.

Unless you train or have been trained to modify as needed you're not gonna do shit.

It sounds like you train a lot of different stuff and have asserted you straddle the tactical and competition community more than anyone on the country. Cool. It sounds like recency and repetition are working for you.

I teach entangled shooting more frequently than anyone on the planet. 40+ weeks a year. To every possible client from soccer moms to the special operations community.

I've yet to see anyone.....soccer mom, commando, blue/green badger, fed....whatever....compress their pistol appropriately based on proximity of threat when exiting a ground fight or clinch after a 50 second fight unless they have been trained to do so. NO ONE modifies as needed for that situation.

That's my observation at least based on 22 years of roadshow, 40+ weeks a year for the past 13, and having observed and conducted at last count a bit over 50,000 simulated near full contact entangled gunfights with simunitons.

But you may have a different perspective based on lived experience.

User Tag List