Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pack of dogs attack people in Philly

As a huge fan of dogs generally what is largely behind these types of attacks? Do they view us as a food item such as a predator in the wild might in certain situations or as a threat due to abuse and neglect in their history? Just curious. Seems like this happens way to often. I squared off against a large male pit in my 2 acre yard a few years back but fortunately it's owner intervened. I was only armed with a wheel barrow and a 4" folder. Thing never made a sound he just kept working side to side calmly trying to figure out how best to get at me behind that wheel barrow. Happened so fast I wasn't really scared it was more of a crap this big fucker really wants a piece of me. As I was processing whether I could get back to the barn fast enough to grab a more proper weapon the rather freaked out owner showed up. Fortunately the dog showed proper deference to her or we would all of had a very bad day. Spooky in hind sight but the question of why has always troubled me. And why was she so freaked? Had this happened before?

Dogs and little kids generally love me. It is what it is and it's always been like that. Simple minds connecting perhaps. They sense that I genuinely dig them which I do and so they dig me right back. Why did that pit want to get at me in the first place? Dominance? Territory? Crazy? If he'd wagged his tail and smiled as only a dog can do he would have gotten a much different response.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ...and one F’ng *ugly* printable PT.com training target…

And yet another 5:30am giggle.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Went to college just outside Philly in the very early 80s.

It was a shithole then.
    There's nothing wrong with Philly that low yield nukes couldn't solve.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

One more example of impact weapon being ineffective.
    An off-leash german shepherd and pitbull attacked my dog (in retrospect, it was a dominance thing). I used a Streamlight 2AA to hammerfist the shepherd. Made solid contact with the head. No effect. If I'd received that blow, I would have been incapacitated by pain.
    Fortunately, my dog was big enough to control the GSD until the owner was able to control the GSD. The pitbull never did anything more than bark and lunge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dogs are tough, but it only took one strike to the head with a 3D rechargeable Maglight to kill a feral dog in Tibet.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I think some dogs sense when a situation isn't to their advantage when attacking a person, e.g. a cane or staff held by someone. Of course that wouldn't hold true for a dog trained to attack a person.

I had the unfortunate experience of going into someone's back yard while working. I talked to the owner before I did to get permission. She was on her way out and said there wasn't a problem. I went into the yard and walked up on a GSD sleeping by a heat pump. We were both surprised. The dog lunged at me numerous times. I had a metal pole in my hand and was able to keep the dog off of me until I got to the gate and out of there. Close call. I've always wondered if that wasn't a set up.

Then there was another time I was approached by a person who informed me that I was lucky to be alive because his dogs were in the house. He then told me to get off of his property or he would let his dogs out. Real nice guy. The problem was I wasn't on his property. I didn't discuss that with him and left. His next visit was from a sheriffs deputy who explained the situation to him. I was told he was a druggie renter.

One meets some of the nicest people working as a surveyor for a large metro county.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

While fire Chief for a small municipality in my 40's, we were called to a home for an activated alarm.
    I knew the family, and their big-ass male bulldog. Super friendly, wiggly doggo outside when I met the on walks.
    Inside THEIR home, not so much. The dog lunged at me, bit me in the scrotum, thru my pants, and wasn't letting go...

A fire handi-talkie in an indispensable tool, both for communication, and for pummeling a motivated bulldog. He finally let go, but not before the cop on the scene had un-holstered and taken aim at said doggo.

It was a crush injury, which I RMA'd at the scene, because I didn't feel like having the entire ambulance corp attending to my junk.

I survived, lived to tell.

Balls.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List