Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 G17 stovepipe, need recommendations

Gen 3 G17 stovepipe, need recommendations

First ever stovepipe.

Gen 3 G17 with Wilson Combat drop in barrel.
    Stock RSA, has had around 3000 rnds on it.
    Stock ejector/extractor.

After a break in period with the WC barrel where I got a few failure to go into battery the gun has been reliable.

After a long period of not shooting it, I decided to turn it into a Carry Optics gun for USPSA.
    Just had it milled for an optic and forward serrations. The gun was black Nitride refinished post milling. It also had a H507 Comp optic mounted on it.

Shot 150 rounds problem free last Saturday.

Today I shot 9 Magpul 17 round mags, and got 1 stovepipe. 1st ever stovepipe w this pistol.

At one point, maybe 3-4 mags in, I noticed that the pistol had a harder time going into battery when cycling the slide manually during chamber checking and clearing the pistol, than usual. It sort of surprised me. I remember thinking that it’s never felt that difficult for the action to close and lock. The barrel shroud was dry of any lubricant.
    The pistol went into battery fine if I locked it back and hit the slide release, and if I slingshotted the slide properly.

After another couple of mags I got the stovepipe.
    I then put a thin line of Lucas oil on the barrel shroud where it contacts the slide at the front of the ejection port with no further problems.

Any thoughts regarding this malfunction?

Does it take a bit of break in and more lube after getting the pistol refinished in Black Nitride? Especially considering the WC barrel?

Should I just keep it lubed and carry on and see if it happens again?

Should I consider changing to a 30274 ejector and Apex extractor?

Should I change the RSA even though it only has around 3000 rounds through it?

Could it be brass bounce off the optic; which I guess could be related to weak ejection.

I’d really appreciate your thoughts!

Name:  BE1F0847-33C0-4FEE-A0CA-0CC9C4DA9A28.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  37.8 KB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Every gun fails eventually. 1 every 1k is about where I am OK. I wouldn't over think it a ton. How do you know it wasnt a cartridge that was just a little low on powder? etc etc. See the forest for the trees

Also, Glock PMags suck

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Also, Glock PMags suck
    Yup. While I wouldn't over index on one malfunction, if I was considering changing anything the first thing I'd do is go back to OEM magazines.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

In no particular order:

Needs to break in after a new coating

Non OEM mags

Needs lubrication

Right optic screw is contacting plunger rod/spring

Weight of the 507 Comp

Funny cartridge

Plain bad luck
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Intermittent failure caused by who knows what.

Take note of it and drive-on.

The other guys already covered it but get rid of the crappy magpul mags. I don’t even like them for range mags because of these type issues. Lube it generously and shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Every gun fails eventually. 1 every 1k is about where I am OK. I wouldn't over think it a ton. How do you know it wasnt a cartridge that was just a little low on powder? etc etc. See the forest for the trees

Also, Glock PMags suck
    Good thoughts thanks, I think it’s my first stove pipe so I guess it made an impression!

I got them P mags for practice only so I don’t wear out my Glock mags but I didn’t realize they are not seen in a positive light!
    I’ve also been using some 21 rnd Pmags for USPSA and a GM told me that eventually I’ll start having problems with them…I guess these are called clues.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Yup. While I wouldn't over index on one malfunction, if I was considering changing anything the first thing I'd do is go back to OEM magazines.
    Yeah at least I could eliminate the most common culprit behind most malfunctions, dodgy mags, funny how I missed that. I’m kicking myself for not marking which mag that was! I even have them numbered for that reason, DOH.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In no particular order:

Needs to break in after a new coating

Non OEM mags

Needs lubrication

Right optic screw is contacting plunger rod/spring

Weight of the 507 Comp

Funny cartridge

Plain bad luck
    Great trouble shooting list! Thanks!

Any thoughts on optimal recoil spring weight for my set up?

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    The other guys already covered it but get rid of the crappy magpul mags. I don’t even like them for range mags because of these type issues. Lube it generously and shoot it.
    Yeah, now I see how one crappy mag can open a Pandora’s box of potentially wrong speculations!

User Tag List