Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing My Own Blood Pressure

Site Supporter

Testing My Own Blood Pressure

I think I may have eaten too many cheeseburgers and drank too many Dr Peppers. I was recently in the appointment-less doctor place twice (once to get metal ground out of my eye, and once to get a USDOT physical) and my measured blood pressure both times was about 130/84. I'm not overweight, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise regularly (well....I "work" for a living) and am 46. I'm pretty sure my problem is my diet and stress levels.

I want to check my own blood pressure at home and see if it's really that bad when I'm resting as a first step toward getting it under control. I know we have a few doctors here and other people who are certified health nuts. Can somebody point me in a right direction for a good at-home tester? I don't mind something old school, and I don't want or need a bunch of bells and whistles. No doctors are telling me to do this (I don't even really have a doctor), I'm just wanting to start learning how to get it under control.

Thanks in advance!

I recently did a cardiac medication change, and was lent an all-in-one BP & pulse monitor for a couple of weeks. Super easy- just slip on the cuff, align properly, and press the button.
    I'd do that around 6 am & pm each day, and log the information.
    Amazon has them for about $35
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Not a doc but spend quite a bit of time & research on my own health journey.

Arm cuffs are the most accurate (and the only thing recommended by the American Heart Association), but I've had pretty good results from a basic Omron wrist cuff. The thing is you have to be pretty consistent in how you use it: you'll get pretty accurate results if you sit upright in a dining chair with reasonably good posture, feet flat on the floor, elbow bent 90°, and with your wrist held next to your heart. If you are slouched, in a recliner, or hold your wrist too high or too low the results won't be accurate. I also need to be sitting still for a couple minutes (the American Heart Association says to wait 5 minutes).

Finger and watch monitors have never given me accurate results.

Whatever you use, take it in with you when you see the doctor so you can compare readings at the same time and place. That can really help if you are affected by "white coat hypertension," especially if your monitor has a memory function to display past readings. My BP is always about 10 points higher in the doctor's office where I go from a crowded, noisy room full of coughing and sneezing people right into an exam room where they immediately take my blood pressure without waiting the recommended 5 minutes.

If you remain just over the cusp of normal and eat typical American food, I'd suggest the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet which typically lowers systolic BP 5-15 before resorting to medications.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    No doctors are telling me to do this (I don't even really have a doctor), I'm just wanting to start learning how to get it under control.

Thanks in advance!
    Now that you're about to hit the half century mark, you will need to go & get yourself a decent GP, as things are about to start falling apart.

And all those test you've dreaded? Time to go and get them if you haven't already.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Mine's an Omron from CVS. It gets numbers that are pretty close to what I see at the doctor, and what I get ( on my wife and mom) with a manual cuff.

Ours is a few years old, the new ones will bluetooth to a phone app so you don't have to take the thing to the doctor every time. Hopefully PF-ized amazon link

If you actually get put on meds, one of these is very handy when you're starting, and when your dose and/or meds change.

You can also go to your local firehouse or EMS station, and someone there should be happy to take it for you. We used to have a couple regulars who'd stop in every week, and had plenty of people who would come in daily for a while after med changes.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Now that you're about to hit the half century mark, you will need to go & get yourself a decent GP, as things are about to start falling apart.

And all those test you've dreaded? Time to go and get them if you haven't already.
    This right here.

Off-topic, but you will want to go ahead and get that colonoscopy ASAP. I have a friend (62 yoa), who parted ways with his GP for about three years and thus was not getting his PSA tested during that time. Finally goes back and finds his PSA is elevated. Fast forward - he is now about his have his prostate removed due to aggressive cancer. So, link up with a GP and get on the program.

PS. - IMO, "exercise" via work is not the same as getting on a bike (or whatever) for 150 minutes per week. You are likely at a place where dedicating some time to exercise will allow you to put off having to go on meds.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I have a white coat hypertension response. My BP is frequently higher at the Dr. office than at home. Silly me.

Independent site that validates different BP monitors for accuracy. Best of my understanding, free of industry bias. I recommend it for my patients when they search for a BP monitor

https://www.validatebp.org/

The most important part in this deal is a correct and repeatable technique. Inappropriate cuff size, not relaxing and resting for enough time before measuring, food and caffeine intake before the check, and failure to average several readings are the most common mistakes that I find in my population.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

You want to check several times a day at the same time for at least a few days. Taking your BP one time randomly means nothing unless its way off the charts in either direction. For example, when you first wake up, then at noon, early evening, and before bed. Do the same things at the same times and youll get a baseline of where you actually stand. Just make sure you do everything the same so if you check at noon before eating lunch then always check before eating lunch. If you check in the evening before the dog walk then always check before the dog walk.

It doesnt have to be 4 times but at least morning and evening. Write it down. If you want, track your food too, it may show a trend.

All the men in my family experience some level of cardiac issues as they age, regardless of health otherwise. All of them die via cardiac arrest or congestive heart failure, usually some time after multiple bypasses/stents/implanted defibrillators.

All that to say, my generation has consulted with a number of cardiologists. The arm wrap Omrom brand seems highly recommended and not expensive. I would take measurements morning, afternoon and night. Keep a log, paper or digital, with notes as to what might be affecting it. Caffeine and sodium in diet are often overlooked ones. Also, even if work keeps you active with a low-level of cardio/resistance training, consider adding in a short, more intense session once a week. Doesn't have to be CrossFit or anything, a few short sprints, or a good tall staircase or hill can make a big difference.

Some people just have it in their genes, and medication is necessary, even with lifestyle interventions. Look into vitamins D and K, as well as magnesium, a lot of folks are low in these and don't know it. For supplements, look at Citrulline, Carnitine, Arginine, and any sort of Betaine/Beet Root powder. Not to necessarily take all those things, but I find the addition of l-Citrulline gets me exactly where I want to be without a stronger dose of meds.

Hypertension is a leading factor in shortened lifespans. Treat it seriously, even if you don't feel it everyday.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List