Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17L Gen 5 - its happening

Glock 17L Gen 5 - its happening

Shocked and delighted to see this:

https://lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=GLPA163S101MOS

I have a Gen 3 17L and it's a fantastic shooter, super mild recoil while maxing velocity. I'll absolutely be buying a Gen 5.

I’ve never gotten deep in the weeds with Glock variants. What makes it different from a G34?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’ve never gotten deep in the weeds with Glock variants. What makes it different from a G34?
    6.02 barrel
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The Glock 17L has a barrel length of 6.02" and the Glock 34 has a barrel length of 5.31".

I had a friend who owned a couple of the 17L's. I've put a respectable amount of rounds through a couple of his 17l's. If I remember correctly, he had a Gen2 and a Gen3 17L. At the time, I had a 34, a 17 and a couple of 19's.

I remember thinking the 17L seemed excessively long. At the time, I thought the 34 was pushing the length a bit.

Then one day I had my Glock 34 and a full size 1911 out of the safe at the same time. Not sure about the actual measurements, but laying the 34 and the 1911 side by side, it's about the same. I did the same thing with a Colt Commander 1911 and a Glock 17. Surprise...!

After that, the 17L didn't seem as long to me anymore.

Before the age of realistic pistol optics, the extra sight radius of the 17L helped when shooting at distance. They were definitely accurate. And they were not common, so the 17L's tended to have some of the, "Cool Guy" factor just because they were different.

I'm not so sure I want to buy one of the new gen5 17L's. But I definitely wouldn't mind spending a day with one one the range.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 05-08-2024 at 09:01 AM.

I am curious what's behind the 10 round mags deal. Ban state special order?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I’m sure it’s a fun shooter but dang that thing is homely .

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am curious what's behind the 10 round mags deal. Ban state special order?
    If you go up a level on Lipsey's site, they also have another SKU with normal magazines.

I guess I'm curious as to what the target (no pun intended...) market for a 17L is these days.

In my mind, a decent RDS renders a 9mm longer slide/barrel pretty much irrelevant, and if there's hordes of unfulfilled bullseye or metallic silhouette shooters yearning unfulfilled in the background for such a gun I'm unaware of it.

If you're concerned about increasing velocity vis-a-vis a longer barrel, I'd think the effort would be better spent on a .40/.357 SIG platform.

Sure, it's a neat gun. I'm just uncertain of its practicality, or ability to get many to be willing to actually buy it.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Add a arm brace and we have our glock pcc!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I guess I'm curious as to what the target (no pun intended...) market for a 17L is these days.

In my mind, a decent RDS renders a 9mm longer slide/barrel pretty much irrelevant, and if there's hordes of unfulfilled bullseye or metallic silhouette shooters yearning unfulfilled in the background for such a gun I'm unaware of it.

If you're concerned about increasing velocity vis-a-vis a longer barrel, I'd think the effort would be better spent on a .40/.357 SIG platform.

Sure, it's a neat gun. I'm just uncertain of its practicality, or ability to get many to be willing to actually buy it.

Best, Jon
    With it's "Best in Class" Sight Radius it works quite well in GSSF
    Indoor Matches in the "Stock" Division and in the Amateur and
    Master Competition Divisions in GSSF Outdoor Matches...Also,
    no self-respecting Glock Fanboi would consider his Glock
    accumulation to be complete without a 17L--Ditto for the Glock
    Collector, of which there are several, or so I understand...

User Tag List