Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17L Gen 5 - its happening

While I grant the viability of the G17L in GSSF (hadn't thought of that one, and I'm an active GSSF participant), I still think the G34 makes a tad more sense than the G17L. But far be it for me to deprive anyone else their ability to have fun.

For me, even the G34, good as it undeniably was, didn't really do to much for me in the long run. It just didn't seem to do much discernably better than my G17 and G19, so even though it was an excellent pistol (and to which I upgraded the sights to an excellent set of Warren Tacticals), I ended up just not shooting or carrying it much, so I eventually sold or traded it.

I agree with the concept of the longer barrel upgrading 9mm +P+ to .357 SIG territory, but then I just went and got the Glock .357 SIG barrel for my Gen4 G22, so that pretty much ended any residual interest in longer-barrelled 9mm Glocks.

Has anyone ballistically compared quality 9mm +P+ from a G17L (or G34) and compared it to .357 SIG out of various platforms/barrel lengths? I'd be curious regarding the 9mm's bullet and velocity drop over distance, compared to that of .357 SIG's.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I own a G3 model. Nice fun gun when paired with a Timney trigger feels like cheating at the range. If someone if willing to buy the G3 I'd be willing to go with a G5 model with a 507C.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

I agree with the concept of the longer barrel upgrading 9mm +P+ to .357 SIG territory, but then I just went and got the Glock .357 SIG barrel for my Gen4 G22, so that pretty much ended any residual interest in longer-barrelled 9mm Glocks.

Has anyone ballistically compared quality 9mm +P+ from a G17L (or G34) and compared it to .357 SIG out of various platforms/barrel lengths? I'd be curious regarding the 9mm's bullet and velocity drop over distance, compared to that of .357 SIG's.

Best, Jon
    Lucky Gunner did a 100yd test that was pretty interesting. Because .357 SIG uses a 'tougher' bullet then 9mm, optimized for high velocity and (I assume) better barrier penetration, it actually did the worst at 100yds.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/h...-at-100-yards/

That said at closer range, .357 SIG is more powerful then the 17L; here it's doing 1360fps vs 1300-1340fps for a 9mm+p Gold Dot from the 17L I've seen in past tests. And Underwood has loads that get the .357 SIG up to 1500fps+.

The G17L is now on the Glock webpage.

They removed the speed hole on the top. My preference would be for a non-MOS version (and the Glock 34 too).

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/G17L-Gen5-MOS

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post

They removed the speed hole on the top. My preference would be for a non-MOS version (and the Glock 34 too).

I'm curious how that even works. I know they go deeper on the cuts along the striker, but it is also an MOS...

Site Supporter

Damn, now my Gen3 needs a brother.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I'm curious how that even works. I know they go deeper on the cuts along the striker, but it is also an MOS...
    The 34 has cuts along the striker as well as the left hand side of the wall of the slide along the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Glock isn't restricted in RSA selection as they were with Gen 3 pistols. The G17L.1-3 uses the same RSA as a G17.1-3 or G22.2-3 or G34.3 (ad nauseam) so the weight of the G17L.3 slide had to work with internal ballistics of the 6" barrel and a RSA that was tuned for a different setup, hence the extreme lightning cuts inside and out. Early in the days of the Gen 4 pistols they found out that the 'one RSA too rule them all' was a failure and adjusted accordingly.

I can also attest that the G17L.3s I have fired did not like lower powered factory ammo - I have watched casings dance on top of the slide because there was not enough oomph to clear the weapon properly. I was always hoping one would drop into the slide lightning cut......

Now, to see if the G17L.5 has a unique RSA will be neat.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

I've always been told they are called lightning cuts, but I like this better, phrasing and all that jazz.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Site Supporter

Wait 10 more years and non optics capable pistols will be a "retro" craze like carry handle AR's.

But for the present, the future is now old man.

User Tag List