Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thumb on hammer holstering a SA/DA ?

No one-size-fits-all

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The hypotheticals you quoted are possible but statistically unlikely. If I'm doing my thing correctly then I'm avoiding issues like that, because it's not my job to confront them head on, unlike a cop.

Regardless of whichever hypothetical scenarios we discuss the need for private citizens to 'speed holster' is so far removed from being a likelihood that the skill is really not important. Broken down further, the possibility of needing to present a firearm in a defensive encounter is pretty low, needing to speed holster and go hands on is virtually non existent for those of us who don't chase bad guys for a living. Practicing viable skills such as Criminal Interview Failure and Conflict Avoidance would be time better spent.
    I have been following this thread and it is most interesting. I appreciate the passion with which people are participating. It is an important issue.

My personal experience is also varied. In the military, my M16 or other weapons were always on hand for use. In police work I had had less reasons to draw or reholster than I have in private use.

In private use as a regular citizen I have found where a charging large pitbull runs out of leash just before she gets there. Now, you're standing there with a weapon in your hand. I have had where someone has come on the property and appeared to be dangerous and had to point a weapon toward that person to challenge them. More assessment of the situation found that it would be better to use a bat or other weapon less lethal to deal with this person who was not sober. There have been other numerous instances, unfortunately as well.
    The citizen should also be concerned that once he has fired his weapon that he must quickly administer first aid and call it in. He also does not want to be standing around with a weapon in his hand when others come and assess.
    Being able to come from concealment, do your tasks with the weapon and then get it back into concealment very quickly have very good strategies for your own protection and the protection of others.

To rule out that one job or another will require one thing or another is not what I have experienced in life. IMHO

I carry a PX4 Storm 45 G and always reholster with my thumb behind, not on top of, the hammer.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 06-07-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Nobody made the argument you should work on this to the exclusion of MUC, etc.

The pit bull incident happened to me as a private citizen. Just jogging in a neighborhood. Felt like a relevant skill at the time. Never said it's a high likelihood, just that it happens.
    Potentiality is not the same as probability, your hypothetical turned anecdotal example not withstanding.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List