Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Gun Fantasyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's the whole reason I own a .405 Winchester barrel for my Encore: Armchair lion hunting.
    Cloying stench of cotton candy!?!?

HAHAHAHA!!!

How awesome would a 9 month safari be! G&H Springfields! H&H doubles! Parker shotguns to collect birds for the camp pot! A mile long line of porters to carry it all....technology has taken much of the fun and romance out of life. (coming from a guy who makes nanomaterials, so take that for what it's worth).

Of course, Idaho elk by horseback is right up there too with a Biesen M54. And Kodiak with a Pre-64 Alaskan. Or mountain grizzly with a M71. And perhaps best of all, buffalo with a Rigby.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    People who mention a world without guns get defined immediately as simpletons by their own ridiculous rhetoric.

If they mean a world without violence, then bloody well say so...and then they can be derided for completely ignoring the totality of what human history teaches us about our fundamental nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I've always lusted after a real, Roosevelt style African Safari...I've already got the hardware
    TR certainly got a lot of big game on his safari, like, a lot.

Every time I hear the "world without guns" thing I think of my niece, who will probably be in a wheelchair her entire life, and how she would fare in such a utopia. Unfortunately my sister would have an aneurysm if I brought it up to her.

A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Not wild about a few of his other points (his views on the 2nd Amendment, his seeming acceptance that restricting magazine capacity is 'reasonable', etc) but Sam Harris makes this same point in his recent blog posting that is more pro-gun than not:
    http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/t...dle-of-the-gun

Lots of people were up in arms about the Rwandan Genocide, as they should have been. Almost all of that killing was done by mobs with machetes.

Oh, and the Romans invaded and took over much of the rest of the world armed with what?

Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    No, thank you. I do not want to live in a world without guns.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Lots of people were up in arms about the Rwandan Genocide, as they should have been. Almost all of that killing was done by mobs with machetes.
    I've often heard from fairly liberal types - this might be a Canadian thing, but I am guessing it's fairly common elsewhere as well - that the West is partly to blame for the Rwandan massacre because we didn't send troops, and the UN peacekeepers who were there weren't allowed to do anything.

Which really begs the question...are these the same people who are convinced that the NRA is crazy for saying that putting armed guards in schools will increase security, because you can't solve the problem of violence by adding more guns?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I've often heard from fairly liberal types - this might be a Canadian thing, but I am guessing it's fairly common elsewhere as well - that the West is partly to blame for the Rwandan massacre because we didn't send troops, and the UN peacekeepers who were there weren't allowed to do anything.

Which really begs the question...are these the same people who are convinced that the NRA is crazy for saying that putting armed guards in schools will increase security, because you can't solve the problem of violence by adding more guns?

Somalia(Blackhawk Down), was still fresh on the minds of Clinton and his people when Rwanda came up. Didn't want to risk another one of those now did he/they? Hence no help from the US there.

But yeah, as the wise Jedi said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    Somalia(Blackhawk Down), was still fresh on the minds of Clinton and his people when Rwanda came up. Didn't want to risk another one of those now did he/they? Hence no help from the US there.

But yeah, as the wise Jedi said, "Stupid is as stupid does."
    My point was more in the area of almost a million people being killed with very little gunfire involved.

User Tag List