Thread: Humid freshwater environment Glock vs Stainless S&W/Ruger revolvers?

Humid freshwater environment Glock vs Stainless S&W/Ruger revolvers?

I'd think Glock would probably be best, not sure how good Stainless S&W or Ruger revolvers would compare.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I'd think Glock would probably be best, not sure how good Stainless S&W or Ruger revolvers would compare.
    Glock, unquestionably. It's a whole lot easier to hose saltwater/silt/sand/etc out of a detail stripped Glock than it is to clean out a DA Ruger or S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Glock, unquestionably. It's a whole lot easier to hose saltwater/silt/sand/etc out of a detail stripped Glock than it is to clean out a DA Ruger or S&W.
    While this is true, the sub-assembly nature of the Ruger also makes it better than the S&W in this regard.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    While this is true, the sub-assembly nature of the Ruger also makes it better than the S&W in this regard.

As someone who has in the past flushed saltwater out of his Glock in a motel bathroom and then re-lubed it using the oil from my dipstick, And now runs both Smith and Ruger revolvers, I concur with both those ideas.

If you go for an unplanned swim with your Glock, don’t forget the magazine springs. They rust.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    As someone who has in the past flushed saltwater out of his Glock in a motel bathroom and then re-lubed it using the oil from my dipstick, And now runs both Smith and Ruger revolvers, I concur with both those ideas.

If you go for an unplanned swim with your Glock, don’t forget the magazine springs. They rust.
    I haven't gotten quite that "creative", but concur about Glocks-with the caveat I'm a fan. Decades ago, I loaned a G19 to someone who went sea kayaking in the Atlantic-sheesh...
    It took a dunk in salt water. I thought I cleaned it thoroughly, but a drop of saltwater had gotten in the mag catch spring groove in the receiver. It rusted and broke weeks later. Replaced it ok.
    I believe any firearms ferrous metals can rust/oxidize. My perspiration is pretty acidic it seems, so that doesn't help. I follow Coopers old suggestion of being "mechanically sympathetic" and put a drop of oil on G slides and wipe off. They detail strip easily, so there's a positive.
    And, as above clean check the mags and components-advice to heed.

I spent 10 years carrying a g19 at sea. If is salt water then I vote Glock. Fresh water? I don't care, it doesn't matter as much.

Stainless steel is not stain-proof. It stains less.

Stainless steel S&W revolvers seem more vulnerable to rust than Ruger revolvers, in my location about 50 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico, in SE Texas. Perspiration is part of the equation, with our summers lasting most of the year.

Keep in mind that a “stainless” revolver can have quite a few carbon steel parts, such as S&W hammers, triggers, etc.

Let’s keep in mind that condensation, due to cooler metal suddenly entering a warmer, humid environment, occurs INSIDE the weapon, not just on the outside.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I inherited a Smith M18 when I was 12, about the time I fell in love with trout fishing. I can say more than once that revolver has been under water. The blued finish never once had spec of rust and pulling the side plate once in a while kept the internals clean and rust free. It wasn't until I deployed to Desert Shield/Storm did that revolver gather any rust. When I packed all of my belongings, I had packed that pistol ion the bottom of a box and it's the only firearm that my crazy ex-wife did not find and sell while I was deployed. When I got home and unpacked that box, it was red inside and out and had several pits. It clean up a bit but still has the pits Still shoots great, I have thought about having it refinished is some way but I never get past the point of thinking about it. My last summer in Idaho, it seen no less than 5000 rounds through it, mostly shooting a jacks out on the desert. Here I can still take a cottontail or gray squirrel with it.

I fell into a muddy ditch while carrying my GP100 and used mostly clean ditch water to wash the mud out and a final rinse of bottled water to get the rest of the grit out. I didn't have to use motor oil off of the dipstick to relube but I would have if I didn't happen to have a bottle of oil in the camper.

Sorry I got sidetracked but I came to say, with timely PMCSs I think any firearm will hold up to the type of environment you are describing.

If I know I'm getting in the water, it's just a knife for me.

If I'm going on a boat/walking the shore/around alot of water it's a Glock. That's in general, but more so with saltwater.

User Tag List