Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How fat we get depends on how much protein we eat

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    mmmm...porterhouse...my fave.
    The first thing I think when I hear 'porterhouse.'

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Generally, yes, absolutely. And to add, the elderly (which, I guess is me, at 64) are chronically under served when it comes to protein.

As to a target of how much, though, I was doing some video-skimming and came across a trio of fitness guys I've started following suggesting around 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day.

That would put me at 114g to 152g of protein a day. Based on logging my food intake the last 6 or so years, is a hard thing for me to do. When I'm on my diet (which, after a friggin' 17 day cruise we just took, I most certainly am ) I try and favor meat, for sure, but almost always have to supplement with whey drinks to get to my numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I was certainly at my leanest / healthiest when approximating an Adkins diet.
    (I made exceptions for cream & sugar in my morning coffee and some beer in the evenings.)
    Name:  IMG_4427.jpeg
Views: 359
Size:  13.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    As to a target of how much, though, I was doing some video-skimming and came across a trio of fitness guys I've started following suggesting around 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day.
    I mean, I'm all for protein loading. But the targets for active adults that are usually recommended are 0.6 to 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.

0.8g/pound of protein is starting to get towards Olympic athlete levels of protein consumption.

It’s pretty well documented that both fat and protein dense foods are much more satiating than carbs. However not all carbs are created equal as there are exceptionally satiating carb sources. Protein also requires more energy for your body to digest, so it’s a bit of a win-win. Fats are easily digested and take the least amount of energy for your body to breakdown.

I don’t subscribe to any “diet” per se however, I do track and manage my overall caloric and protein intake. My daily target is a minimum of 1g of Protein per pound of BW. For me at 150-160 (that’s where I fluctuate) I don’t find it very hard to hit. Fill in the rest of your calories with fat or carbs, whatever you prefer and eat whole single ingredient foods. I find people make far too big a deal about the small details it’s not all that hard. Oh and make sure you’re getting enough fiber.

The periphery of the grocery store is where you should stay.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I mean, I'm all for protein loading. But the targets for active adults that are usually recommended are 0.6 to 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.

0.8g/pound of protein is starting to get towards Olympic athlete levels of protein consumption.
    Most people who lift weights has a goal of 1g/lbs of body fat.

I’m 185 and eat at least that in protein a day.

Site Supporter

Rob-
    Is there a units error in your statement above? Or is my math below wrong?

For a 180 lb man divided by 2.2 makes him 81.8 kg

81.8 kg x .8 g per kg = 65.44 g of protein to consume per day

My units converter says that 65.44 g = 2.3 oz of protein

So, 2.3 oz of protein per day for a 180 lb man? That doesn’t seem like much.

Site Supporter
    Rob-

I think you are both wrong [emoji3]
    My Fitness Pal says 12oz of boneless skinless chicken breast has 69 grams of protein.
    But AFAIK recent studies suggest you need about .7-.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight to optimize results of weightlifting. That’s down from the bro advice of 1 gram per lb.

Rob-

I had the wrong numbers: https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/re...line-materials

0.6-0.8/kg for a SEDENTARY adult male. 1.2-1.5/kg for an active adult male, similar numbers for people over 60, so closer to RJ's number.

But in general, the idea that we need 1g/lb of body weight is viewed as excessive in most cases. There are some exceptions, Olympic athletes and athletes and elderly people recovering from injury can use that protein.

But the average American needs ~30g of protein per meal. You really cannot digest and process more.

In general we're over everything in our diet. Because 'Murica, we like everything to be over the top.

I had the wrong numbers: https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/re...line-materials

0.6-0.8/kg for a SEDENTARY adult male. 1.2-1.5/kg for an active adult male, similar numbers for people over 60, so closer to RJ's number.

But in general, the idea that we need 1g/lb of body weight is viewed as excessive in most cases. There are some exceptions, Olympic athletes and athletes and elderly people recovering from injury can use that protein.

But the average American needs ~30g of protein per meal. You really cannot digest and process more.

In general we're over everything in our diet. Because 'Murica, we like everything to be over the top.
    Respectfully, the “body can only digest X grams of protein per meal” is a myth that has perpetually been thrown around for year but is simply not that totally cut and dry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLLo1...IHByb3RlaW4%3D

Anyways I’m bowing out of this thread, I’m not a dietician or here to give anyone advice. Do what you believe is right for you and your goals.

User Tag List