Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X300 Turbo vs Ultra

X300 Turbo vs Ultra

Looking to pick up an x300 while they're on sale over at primary arms. Use the PF link if you go looking.

The ultra has more spill, the turbo more throw. Which do you guys feel is more important? Spill or throw? See more indoors, or penetrate "photonic barriers" and reach further.

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Looking to pick up an x300 while they're on sale over at primary arms. Use the PF link if you go looking.

The ultra has more spill, the turbo more throw. Which do you guys feel is more important? Spill or throw? See more indoors, or penetrate "photonic barriers" and reach further.

Thanks.
    I'll take the spill on a pistol light. If your putting it on a long gun I'd get the Turbo.

X300 Turbo vs Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I'll take the spill on a pistol light. If your putting it on a long gun I'd get the Turbo.
    Generally how I feel.

But, you can always move your muzzle around to get peripheral objects into the spill. The only way to compensate for lack of throw is by closing the distance which is typically more problematic.

In very light use comparing them head to head, I don’t think you can go wrong either way. They’re both super bright and probably won’t be the make or break in any remotely likely situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-25-2023 at 06:55 PM.

I have both and like them. The turbo has enough spill that I think it works great on pistols and that’s why I have an X300T and X400T (green) - the T might be a bit much at close range with a red laser. I have five or six Us and they work great up close but I feel the turbo has a marked advantage for seeing detail at distances out to 25 yards.

For home defense (indoors with limited distances) I’m fine with the U, but for anything that could be outdoors and/or at longer ranges I’m leaning towards the T.

The interesting thing I have found is that carbon fouling from firing really affects the Turbo more than the Ultra, so I’ve made it a point to apply frog lube prior to range training, cleaning it off prior to low light training, and making sure it’s clean for carry. Obviously this should be done for the Ultra as well, but even more so with the Turbo .

If it's for duty the turbo 100% if it's for home defense then the u

Based on some PMs and more research I bought the x300 Turbo B. It's going on a G17 for duty use, so I think the throw will be beneficial.

The lack of spill should be something I can mitigate with technique and training. The throw can't be corrected the same way. At least thats my current line of thinking.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still open to more talk about the pros/cons if anyone has relevent experience.

When the X300 Turbo first came out I definitely thought that it was a poor choice for a handgun light based on the videos and images that I had seen.

I did end up getting one to use on an SBR, and after using it I definitely prefer it over the X300U even for handgun use. The spill is much more usable than what the initial images and videos would have you believe, especially indoors where it can bounce off of the walls to illuminate an entire room. I have one on my carry gun and nightstand gun and will probably pick up at least one more.

I was also very impressed with the Turbo Scout lights that I had, but they were just too large for what I needed so I'm sticking to OKWs for my rifles even though I prefer the output of the Surefires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Based on some PMs and more research I bought the x300 Turbo B. It's going on a G17 for duty use, so I think the throw will be beneficial.

The lack of spill should be something I can mitigate with technique and training. The throw can't be corrected the same way. At least thats my current line of thinking.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still open to more talk about the pros/cons if anyone has relevent experience.
    Its great for identifying people at distance and penetrating through window tint. I have yet to find a time I felt at a disadvantage using it

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I did end up getting one to use on an SBR, and after using it I definitely prefer it over the X300U even for handgun use. The spill is much more usable than what the initial images and videos would have you believe, especially indoors where it can bounce off of the walls to illuminate an entire room.
    Exactly this - it's extremely difficult to judge flashlight beams from photos or videos as the human vision system can discern detail in over ten times the contrast range of a digital sensor.

A few other points IMO worth considering;

1. Indoors, the more narrow beam creates less back scatter when pointed through door openings
    2. In a high stress situation, our vision will be fixated on the threat so wide, bright spill is of little benefit
    3. The higher the candela the brighter the beam, which is more likely to deprive an assailant of their vision

I don't use WMLs on pistols but if I did it would be the narrower, higher-candela beam.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Turbo all day long. I just bought 45 of them for my department, and about 5 of us own personal Turbos. I have an Ultra as well and there is really no point to the Ultra anymore.

User Tag List