Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: A300 Ultima Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post
    All you have to do is use a different front post. Unless something changed, it should be the same config as the 1301 and quite similar to an M2.
    It is good to see you here...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    Supposedly the 1301 rear sight does not have enough elevation (too tall) to zero A300 with slugs at 20 yards. I was wondering if that would be an issue because the fixed rear sight is lower and the front is not an LPA sight. The A300UP may have to same bolt pattern as a 1301 but it has proprietary sights.
    In general slugs are really, really tricky for zeroing.

A client of mine who uses his 1301 as a duty gun (they are slug only) had been using Federal Tru-Ball slugs with great effect. His department then switched over to the Federal Hydra-Shock slugs which hit to a radically different point of aim out of his gun. Like over a foot at 25 yards. He had to get a longer rear sight from Aridus to actually be able to zero his gun with the new slugs.

So if you run into issues with the slug you are using don't overlook trying a different slug because the difference between them can be immense. In theory it shouldn't be that big of a difference but as picky as shotguns can be about the buckshot they like they tend to be even pickier about slugs.
    3/15/2016

In my SBS Benelli M2 shotguns and various 1301 shotguns, Brenneke 2.75 Classic Magnums shoot to the same point of impact, and have similar recoil characteristics as Winchester 2.75 Foster slugs. That gives me an inexpensive practice load that mimics the more costly Brenneke slugs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

LGS (north of Seattle area) has Friend with store in Idaho whom pre-ordered and received many Ultima patrols. Idaho guy reports a number of problems and recommends the 1301 to people he knows.

No specifics, but he (LGS) recommended for me to get to 1301 instead of an Ultima patrol, he has been a 1301 owner for a number of years fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    LGS (north of Seattle area) has Friend with store in Idaho whom pre-ordered and received many Ultima patrols. Idaho guy reports a number of problems and recommends the 1301 to people he knows.

No specifics, but he (LGS) recommended for me to get to 1301 instead of an Ultima patrol, he has been a 1301 owner for a number of years fwiw.
    So, vague reports of phantom problems from a random 3rd party (sorry, correction, 4th party) guy with some confirmation bias and personal stake in his prior choice of gun and potential financial gain from the higher price option?

Yup. Seems legit.

Cancelling my 300UP order right away!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

"This video is the ULTIMATE Beretta 1301 versus Beretta A300 Patrol comparison. In this episode of TFBTV, @JamesReeves answers this burning “1301 or A300” question with the help of three experts: Famed shooter and gunsmith, Ernest Langdon; the notorious second generation shotgun instructor, Matt Haught; and Ben Grundwerg, a clever Beretta Product Manager who helped develop the Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol. It’s literally impossible to assemble a more competent and authoritative panel of guests than the men in this video to help you decide which shotgun you should pick up."

Seems like “buy once, cry once” applies here.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems more like a case of "there is ass for every seat".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Uncle Pat got woven into this thread nice.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It's definitely going to come down to how you value features.

For me, the chrome lined barrel, the superior barrel geometry, the less picky gas system, and most crucially the ability to shorten the stock are worth paying the extra cost. Don't get me wrong, I won't like it. I'll gripe and bitch and moan as I put the money down but I'm still highly likely to put the money down.

Not everyone will be willing to put the money down for those features...and honestly, with the exception of the shorter stock, a lot of people don't really need them.

The ability to shorten the stock is massively important on defensive shotguns. I expect that sooner or later we will see some way of getting a shorter stock on the UP. But apart from that, the package as it rolls from Beretta is pretty solid for someone looking for a gun they will primarily run inside their home with good buckshot. If they take a class a year or consume that amount of ammunition and some useful practice on their own a couple of times a year and they don't do a lot of shooting from their weak shoulder, they will likely be plenty happy with the UP.

The "super user", the dude who considers the shotgun his primary defensive long arm who is going to train with it from the weak side...that's going to be the guy who will see the benefit of the 1301 over the UP. (Again, apart from the shorter stock. Which is the biggest of big deals on defensive scatterguns)

If money is no object, the 1301 and dressing it up with Aridus gear is a great way to go for anyone.

But for the person who wants a capable shotgun that will handle most anything they could do with it at ~ 1K price point where they can just mount a light and go, the UP makes a compelling case.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List