Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current AR-15 Scope Mount

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would also throw in Spuhr ISMS and Nightforce Ultramounts.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at those, too.

I have used Larue, ADM, JP, Scalarworks, and Nightforce.

Scalarworks is really nice and ADM would be a close second. The others are quality, just don't have all the features that the others have.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    For the price I am very happy with Warne

A lot of good mounts have been recommended.

I see no reason to move away from the QD's though. They're proven and there's no penalty for having the QD option with BUIS.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    A lot of good mounts have been recommended.

I see no reason to move away from the QD's though. They're proven and there's no penalty for having the QD option with BUIS.
    The penalties are additional weight and in some instances durability / reliability.

I’ve had a QD ADM mount fail to hold zero.

Off set and 12 o’clock options mean you don’t need QD to have a secondary sighting system, nor does that secondary sighting system need to be iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The penalties are additional weight and in some instances durability / reliability.

I’ve had a QD ADM mount fail to hold zero.

Off set and 12 o’clock options mean you don’t need QD to have a secondary sighting system, nor does that secondary sighting system need to be iron sights.
    True. But I’d submit that a backup optic is still sub-optimal. They are more difficult to zero and use since the rifle is either canted or the red dot is so high the shooter has a higher cheekweld (if any). They also can fog, fail, and require batteries. On a true do it all, society is collapsing rifle I’d be more comfortable with BUIS. For LE duty use a 2nd red dot may be fine. But they still make longer range shots more challenging.

I’ve had great experiences with ADM QD mounts. And it’s not like shooters are taking them on and off all the time. They typically only come off of the scope fails. As for RTZ, this was quite impressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUxvTd9f7C8

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    True. But I’d submit that a backup optic is still sub-optimal. They are more difficult to zero and use since the rifle is either canted or the red dot is so high the shooter has a higher cheekweld (if any). They also can fog, fail, and require batteries. On a true do it all, society is collapsing rifle I’d be more comfortable with BUIS. For LE duty use a 2nd red dot may be fine. But they still make longer range shots more challenging.

I’ve had great experiences with ADM QD mounts. And it’s not like shooters are taking them on and off all the time. They typically only come off of the scope fails. As for RTZ, this was quite impressive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUxvTd9f7C8
    I base gear choices off the probable, not the “possible” like TEOTWAKI. That is one of the dumber aspects of gun culture. If that were to occur, lack of cardio and clean, drinking water are a lot more significant problems than back up sighting systems for my rifle.

For close range the RDS > BUIS.

I’ve actually had 2 ADM mounts fail, only one of them had the fail to hold zero issue. I also found ADMs customer service less than helpful.

For what it's worth, I actually went back to a 12:00 RDS over my NX8 instead of offset XS big dot tritium irons. RDS beats irons 100% of the time. We're all victims of our own experience, but I've been in enough "fighting to find the sight picture" experiences that my "go to" rifle has to have a red dot; even over irons, and even if the LPVO has a great nuclear bright 1X dot.

The lack of cheekweld thing is kinda overblown too. It's like anything else, you have to train and get used to it, but upper A zone hits, at speed, on the move, with target transitions are very doable.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

What @HCM said. In the event of a societal breakdown on the level that fiction novels write about, most people will be dead of either violence, disease, or starvation long before the electronics in their offset Holosun or ACRO fail. All of my rifles with red dots have BUIS primarily because I think a rifle with two red dot sights would look immensely silly, not because they’re the best choice for a backup sighting system. My one rifle with an LPVO only has BUIS because I haven’t dropped the money for an offset RDS yet.

To answer the OP’s question, I really like my Scalarworks scope mount. It’s light weight and has a little screw included that helps you level the scope. I like the way the rings screw together as well and found it easier than mounts with two-piece rings that I’ve tried. It’s also removable without tools if you care about having usable BUIS that aren’t offset. The only negative is they’re more expensive than pretty much all of their competitors. If you shop around you can find them for substantially less than their MSRP, but you could do the same with any other scope mount so the Scalarworks will still cost more in comparison. I hear great things about the Badger Ordnance mounts but haven’t had any hands-on time with one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    For what it's worth, I actually went back to a 12:00 RDS over my NX8 instead of offset XS big dot tritium irons. RDS beats irons 100% of the time. We're all victims of our own experience, but I've been in enough "fighting to find the sight picture" experiences that my "go to" rifle has to have a red dot; even over irons, and even if the LPVO has a great nuclear bright 1X dot.

The lack of cheekweld thing is kinda overblown too. It's like anything else, you have to train and get used to it, but upper A zone hits, at speed, on the move, with target transitions are very doable.
    I think the relevance of lack of cheekweld depends on your use / targets.

For me, (and it sounds like for you) the secondary RDS is a supplemental sight for 0-50 yards first and a generalist back up for the magnified optic / for 0-300 second so 12 o’clock / lack of cheek weld is not significant.

Reverse those priorities and a 35 /45 degree offset with better cheekweld might be more significant.

There is also a niche use in some off side cover or off side direction movement where a 45 degree offset can be useful / help avoid switching shoulders.

User Tag List