Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: 10mm field pistol -- FN and G5 20

The Sig 10mm mags are marked "made in Italy," presumably by MecGar, which is a good thing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I just got back from the range, where I had a chance to shoot the new P320 X Ten Comp. I really wasn't expecting all that much.

OMG, I was totally blown away -- it was the best shooting 10mm I have ever shot. Ergonomically, the gun felt good in my hands, and the controls were in the right place. Recoil wise, it is the flattest and softest shooting 10 I have experienced. Felt like a G19 with +P+ ammo.

I shot about 100 rounds consisting of 20 Underwood 200 grain coated hard cast, 20 Underwood 140 Xtreme Penetrators, 20 Cutting Edge 190 grain, and the rest S&B 180 FMJ. No stoppages, and I spent the last part of the session shooting the Hard Cast and Cutting Edge loads, support hand only, limp wristing.

Here is a video showing how flat the gun cycles freestyle, then the limp wristing exercise.

I am definitely getting one unless I learn something bad in the next day or so.

I had a CHPWS 320 plate and EPS around, so I mounted the optic. OEM height low iron sights are just barely useable.

Name:  IMG_6674.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  99.8 KB

Sig really beefed up the 10mm model -- look at it compared to a Macro.

Name:  IMG_6679.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  42.8 KB

I think @Cdub_NW had a Sig X10? I can't remember what he thought about it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I am just back from the range. I mounted the EPS on the X Ten Comp and laser sighted it with the Wheeler. First, I checked zero on paper. This was four shots at 20 yards with the Underwood Lehigh 140 grain penetrator load.

Name:  IMG_6682.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  45.8 KB

I gave it two clicks right, and shot ten rounds of the same load freestyle from 20 yards.

Name:  IMG_6683.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  66.1 KB

Next I shot ten rounds of the 190 grain Cutting Edge load freestyle at 20 yards. This load hit about an inch lower at 20 yards.

Name:  IMG_6685.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  38.3 KB

Historically, I have not experienced good precision with the Macro OEM ported slide, but these groups were very satisfactory, especially for a defensive field pistol likely to be used at close range.

I chronographed the Underwood Xtreme penetrator and 200 grain hard cast load. Didn't do the Cutting Edge as I ran out.
    The Underwood Xtreme penetrator is advertised as 1,500 fps. These were the first three shots, and I was surprised by how slow the average velocity was, 1,340 fps.

Name:  IMG_6687.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  101.7 KB

I decided to shoot a few more rounds, and they felt noticeably faster. So I shot seven more rounds and they averaged 1,423 fps. Clusterfrack had recently experienced significant variation with two copper bullets in his 10mm, so this got me wondering.

Name:  IMG_6694.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  17.4 KB

Then I shot five Underwood coated hard cast, and these didn't have as big a variation in velocity.

Name:  IMG_6692.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  41.4 KB

Between my various testing today, I shot 80 rounds, with most of that being one of three penetration oriented loads without issue. The pistol continues to impress me with how soft it shoots, and now I can add that it shoots good groups.

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think @Cdub_NW had a Sig X10? I can't remember what he thought about it.
    Correct, I had one. It ran really well but I went G20 just to remain consistent with the Glock platform. I had zero issues with the X10 and feel it ran really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    Correct, I had one. It ran really well but I went G20 just to remain consistent with the Glock platform. I had zero issues with the X10 and feel it ran really well.
    Just think, if you got into a survival situation with Clusterfrack, you guys could share Glock parts!

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just think, if you got into a survival situation with Clusterfrack, you guys could share Glock parts!
    Safe to say that we both have backups for our backups at this point.

The X Ten Comp is just a smidge bigger than a P229.

Name:  IMG_6697.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6698.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6700.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  52.4 KB

User Tag List