Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Gauge Pic Thread

Frequently used gauge

Name:  IMG_6010.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  100.1 KB

Site Supporter

870 SBS

I made some changes to my 870 SBS. I installed the Magpul SGA and got rid of the Surefire forend which was heavy as hell for the Magpul forend and Streamlight Railmount setup.
    Name:  870SBS.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  60.0 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I made some changes to my 870 SBS. I installed the Magpul SGA and got rid of the Surefire forend which was heavy as hell for the Magpul forend and Streamlight Railmount setup.
    Name:  870SBS.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  60.0 KB
    Awesome set up and I am looking to do something similar with my 870. Did you just use a piece of picatinny rail on the pump to mount the Streamlight?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WRAM1 View Post
    Awesome set up and I am looking to do something similar with my 870. Did you just use a piece of picatinny rail on the pump to mount the Streamlight?
    I had wanted to use the Streamlight Protac RM M LOK Mount which allows you to remove the rail mount assembly and attach the light directly to it and the M LOK Slots. But the way the Magpul forend is made, it won't install flat in that location. I added a 3 inch piece of M LOK rail, and then disassembled the mount (There was some creative engineering involved) as I wanted the knob on the bottom rather than the top. I fastened a Magpul QD angled sling rail mount to the rail and installed the light. Everything was Blue Loctited and is holding well so far. Hope this helps.
    Name:  Light 870.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  66.2 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

MDFA, this helps! Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WRAM1 View Post
    MDFA, this helps! Thanks!
    No Problem. Call it the MDFA Mod...

I need to try that. I currently have the same light and forend combo with the light on the right side and a tape switch on the left. I find it kindof annoying and like the simplicity of tail cap only setups but I’m worried about the light hitting my hand in recoil.

Also the Magpul cantilever mount works with the forend.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Found what reminded me of an old fashioned “General” type store in Livingston MT and they had this room upstairs. Back when there was a certain level of elegance in hunting.
    Attachment 110976
    Anyone know what the “chisels” or other tools are in the case?
    Per this site, http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog...best-gunmaker/ Jules Bury built guns from 1896 to 1947. It's hard to tell from that image, but I'd bet that the case and the tools are modern reproductions, correct for that style of gun but not original.

The gun itself is a sidelock. They're significantly more expensive than box lock guns, and they were often sold cased with any tools that the owner (or his valet) would need to maintain it. I can't tell from that image whether the locks are hand-detachable but a lot of them were. That's because most ammo in that era used corrosive priming if not black powder or early smokeless that didn't burn cleanly. Pierced primers were also not uncommon, so the recommended maintenance schedule for that gun probably included complete disassembly and scrubbing after every use. The gun would have been stored at the owner's country house, but it would have traveled with him for shoots on other properties, so the valet would need them to clean the gun every night after it had been used away from home.

With that in mind, the things that look like chisels are probably screwdrivers that have been fitted to the screws on the gun to keep the heads from getting burred during disassembly.

The round brass thing with the chisels is probably an oil can that goes with the brush to the left of it.

The tool at lower left in the main tool compartment is probably for removing/changing firing pin bushings or dealing with the pins inside the locks. (It could also be a spare handle for the screwdriver bits.) The tool at upper left is probably either a handle for a cleaning rod that's stored elsewhere in the case or a tool for cleaning the chambers.

The two brass pieces on either side of the upper right compartment are probably snap caps. Not sure about the round brass thing between them. Maybe an anvil or tool block for holding the lock during disassembly or reassembly while was dismounted from the gun.

Mostly guesses, but I hope this helps.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List