Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    It has been a while since I've seen the last model year still on the lot new.
    It's refreshing.

there are a bunch of longer format videos, but here's a nice short one

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Ram unveils regular Raptor competitor

Not the TREX, this is aimed at the V6 Raptor. Very interesting, but I’ll wait to see how that V6 stacks up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...-rho-revealed/
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Apparently flooded doesn't mean what I think it should mean, the nearby small town Toyota dealer has eighty-eight new Toyotas, seven of them are Tundras.
    My local dealer has lots of Tacomas, and 4Runners, but no Tundras

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 11-50-49 Express Cars.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  23.4 KB Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 11-50-14 Express Cars.png
Views: 156
Size:  18.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not the TREX, this is aimed at the V6 Raptor. Very interesting, but I’ll wait to see how that V6 stacks up.]
    Don't wanna be ThatGuy/DoucheBag, but it is an inline six. I love the concept, with exhaust manifolds feeding two small turbos from three parallel cylinders each.
    ETA: Nice short runners, seems like great packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My local dealer has lots of Tacomas, and 4Runners, but no Tundras
    Damn, it is glaringly obvious I live in a small town...

I've gone down a truck camper rabbit hole which has led to a “quad cab” truck rabbit hole.

Appears that for now the big three plus T all still offer quad cabs, but only on the lower trim levels. Which isn't the end of the world since that also keeps the price down.

Ford appears to still be doing the clamshell door approach which, at first glance, takes them out of the running.

The selling point of the tundra would be the roll down rear window but its unclear if that's available on the new quad cabs, and the also appear to have the least about of back seat space.

Chevy/gmc has some nice options but have either removed the 6.2 entirely or its not available on the quad cab. Their two stage tailgate seems like it could be handy for truck campers.

So far the Ram seems the most viable and their modular tailgate seems like it has some nice potential in a truck camper scenario.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I've gone down a truck camper rabbit hole.
    Since bailing on the Transit van idea I have been circling the drain on this also. What are you thinking, heavy duty or one that works on a half ton? I have been looking at the ones that would work with my existing (paid off...) truck, an 8ft extended cab F-150.
    What I have found so far is they either weigh a ton, cost a ton, or both, or can be pieces of shit assembled out of twigs with roofs that will leak.
    The brand I am currently hot on is Soaring Eagle, they are welded aluminum frames, I think they claim the only wood in the thing are the cabinet doors.
    They also make them with the intent of being able to close the tailgate, since so many tailgates have cameras that you want to utilize and wiring that makes them more of a hassle to remove. And many tailgates have steps integrated into them, and they make for a nice entry porch, and when they are closed and locked the camper door is much more secure than with just a little RV door lock.

which has led to a “quad cab” truck rabbit hole.
    Appears that for now the big three plus T all still offer quad cabs, but only on the lower trim levels. Which isn't the end of the world since that also keeps the price down.
    Ford appears to still be doing the clamshell door approach which, at first glance, takes them out of the running.
    What are you calling quad cab? IME the extended SuperCab (like mine) is the suicide half doors, the Crew Cab is four conventional doors and is like a limo in the back seat. Ford makes a buttload of F-150 Crew Cabs with four conventional doors, but the longest bed is 6.5ft (that Soaring Eagle makes several to fit), with an 8ft bed you either get an extended cab with the F-150, or step up to the Super Duty F-250/F-350 that is available with four doors and an 8ft bed.
    ETA: Ford's Build & Price logic is kinda illogical, and choices appear to be limited based on what you chose way back at the beginning. Like the PowerBoost hybrid (that I believe would run an air conditioner in a camper by starting the truck engine) doesn't show up, unless you have chosen a Crew Cab, because that is the only way it is offered.

So far the Ram seems the most viable and their modular tailgate seems like it has some nice potential in a truck camper scenario.
    I am intrigued by the new engine.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-30-2024 at 08:00 AM.

Since bailing on the Transit van idea I have been circling the drain on this also. What are you thinking, heavy duty or one that works on a half ton? I have been looking at the ones that would work with my existing (paid off...) truck, an 8ft extended cab F-150.
    What I have found so far is they either weigh a ton, cost a ton, or both, or can be pieces of shit assembled out of twigs with roofs that will leak.
    The brand I am currently hot on is Soaring Eagle, they are welded aluminum frames, I think they claim the only wood in the thing are the cabinet doors.
    They also make them with the intent of being able to close the tailgate, since so many tailgates have cameras that you want to utilize and wiring that makes them more of a hassle to remove. And many tailgates have steps integrated into them, and they make for a nice entry porch, and when they are closed and locked the camper door is much more secure than with just a little RV door lock.
    I'm gonna start a separate thread on these soon (tm).

What are you calling quad cab?
    Something with 4 doors, but the rear doors are smaller, while the bed remains at ~6.5ft vs the ~5.5ft the "crew" cabs have.

RAM: Quad Cab
    Toyota: Double Cab
    Silverado: Double Cab

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-30 095816.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-30 095836.jpg
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-30 095906.jpg
Size:  32.4 KB

I'm gonna start a separate thread on these soon (tm).
    That would be good, I have some hours invested, tag me when you do. At this point I am just continuing to research, I still have 554 days until I would need it anyway.

Something with 4 doors, but the rear doors are smaller, while the bed remains at ~6.5ft vs the ~5.5ft the "crew" cabs have.

RAM: Quad Cab
    Toyota: Double Cab
    Silverado: Double Cab
    Ford does the conventional crew cab with the 6.5ft bed, but almost all of them on the road and lots are 5.5ft.
    I have contemplated this because it would (just) fit in my garage. If I did something it might just be a 6.5ft SuperCab, but we do not have kids (and the dogs do not let themselves in and out...). Part of the reason would be if I had something that would fit in the garage that means giving up the car and my wife taking the Connect, and the truck would be my primary, so having something even smaller would be nice (right now the truck only gets driven to do truck things). But then I would just be doing it to get something just like what I have, only with a shorter bed, so pretty sure we will not be doing nuthin for a long while.

Looks like it would be 15in longer than a RAM, and have a 16.5in longer wheelbase.
    Name:  SCAB.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  93.0 KB

Ford does the conventional crew cab with the 6.5ft bed, but almost all of them on the road and lots are 5.5ft.
    I have contemplated this because it would (just) fit in my garage. If I did something it might just be a 6.5ft SuperCab, but we do not have kids (and the dogs do not let themselves in and out...). Part of the reason would be if I had something that would fit in the garage that means giving up the car and my wife taking the Connect, and the truck would be my primary, so having something even smaller would be nice (right now the truck only gets driven to do truck things). But then I would just be doing it to get something just like what I have, only with a shorter bed, so pretty sure we will not be doing nuthin for a long while.

Looks like it would be 15in longer than a RAM, and have a 16.5in longer wheelbase.
    Name:  SCAB.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  93.0 KB
    that's what I want to avoid. Yes, a few manufacturers will let you get a crew with a 6.5 but that's going to make it too long for me. When shopping vans I've been focused on models that are SHORTER than what I have now so don't want to go the wrong direction.

I have a Ram crew cab ~5.5ft bed now, and I don't want anything any longer. by going to a double/quad cab version I can add a foot to the bed but stay about the same overall length.
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-30-2024 at 09:43 AM.

User Tag List