Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has quit caffeine??

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I limit myself to 800mg a day (caffeine pills) and always finish by 8:30am. Another casualty of getting an Oura ring.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

12 cups folgers black silk a day. See no good reason to quit now. Its the only caffeine I take. Tea or coca cola will keep me up most of the night.
    Bullseye days are long gone.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I decided with my recent change of employment, I was going to cut back on coffee. I liked starting my day with a Gevalia cappuccino. Then it used to be followed by 4 to 5 cups of coffee. When I decided to make a change, I was pleasantly surprised that the cappuccino was decaffeinated. All these years and I never knew. Today, I still start off with the cappuccino, followed by one cup of coffee. If my wife happens to brew a pot (I’m all in on K cups), I will have a second. I’ve been holding steady on this for three months now.

The other change that I wanted to make was to reduce my beer intake. I’ve been quite a bit less successful with that challenge.

I recently switched my first morning liter of coffee to half-caff, and don't drink anything with caffeine after lunch.

I used to be able to drink high test all day & still sleep, but no longer.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I drank a lot of caffeine, never thought much of it i just like the flavor. When I used to go into the office it was one 24oz at 7am, another 24oz around 9am. Another 24oz around noon and maybe, sometimes one around 2 or 3pm. I would just drive a mile or two to the nearest 7/11, wawa or some other type of convenience store. Didnt help that it went great with cigarettes.

Today I dont smoke and work from home so i have my 24oz around 8am and another 24oz around 10am. However, if I get into the car to go anywhere i first stop for coffee.

An anecdote:

The little burg I grew up in had 4 smaller elementary schools that fed into one big middle school. Day comes that I have just entered the 6th grade—which means that I’m sitting in class on the first day, with 5 or 6 kids that I’ve known most of my life, and another 18-20 that I don’t know. I’m in the middle aisle seat in a row that includes my tribe from grades 1-5, and the guy across the aisle leans over and says “Hey! Do you like cafe mochas?” I respond “I dunno, what’s that?”

“Well, my mom and dad own (name of major coffeeshop downtown), if you and your friends want to meet me and my friends afterschool, I can get you a free one!”

So at 2:45, 10 of us end up going down to the shop, where the mom—who was a lovely lady, I knew her from that day until the day she sold the place and moved—made us all cafe mochas.

When my elementary school buddies drank theirs, they became alternately: hyper, spastic, green, and mildly nauseous—in rotating fashion.

When I took my first and second sips, the heavens opened up, and a choir of angels sang the hallelujah chorus from Hayden’s Messiah, in celestial voices that only I could hear, while the espresso…sweet, sweet, espresso with chocolate and milk simultaneously whispered in my ear “You are smart. You are loved. You are safe…”

I’ve been on the bean ever since.

I’ve *never* been a smoker, despite an early rock and roll lifestyle (hated it from the first stinky drag), and I seem to have a preternatural ability to take or leave alcohol, despite serious occupational hazards around cocktail and craft culture, but…

I was born to drink coffee; incarnated into a family and location where an ex auto racer dropped his winnings into an insane idea: the Euro-style coffeeshop/cafe (the first espresso machines imported in bulk into WA state were in 1978–20 years after some guy smuggled one in from Italy and opened the first espresso cafe in Seattle; racer guy and his wife bought their amazing machine for a princely 4k in 1982 dollars—predating Starbucks serving espresso by 5 years).

Like an ancient born in Greece believing in Zeus, I believe in espresso. I raise my double shot to anyone else’s efforts to cut back.

The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

I usually drink a pot of coffee a day starting between 9-10 in the morning sometimes having the last cup at 6 pm. I usually sleep about 7-8 hours a night. I might have Coke with dinner. Coffee never really bothers me but energy drinks let me see sounds.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I usually drink a pot of coffee a day starting between 9-10 in the morning sometimes having the last cup at 6 pm. I usually sleep about 7-8 hours a night. I might have Coke with dinner. Coffee never really bothers me but energy drinks let me see sounds.
    I don't want to harp on this since I mentioned it in my opening post, but I think you are the second person that has mentioned being able to sleep despite drinking caffeine.

Being able to fall asleep after caffeine doesn't mean the caffeine isn't preventing you from getting restorative sleep. There are different sleep cycles, and caffeine may be preventing you from getting into N3/deep sleep, which is what you need. Alcohol also has a negative effect on sleep quality even though it might not keep you from falling asleep.

I was drinking a 12 cup pot of Folgers coffee a day, decided it was impacting my sleep. I went cold turkey 2 weeks. It was aweful. I had an incredibly bad headach, was angry, and it sucked.
    That was maybe 3 years ago. I went back to drinking coffee, but it served as a good reset.

Now, I normally drink 2 mugs a day. Occassionally 3. The time I start can vary, always done by 10am or so. Asside from occassional sweet tea with a meal, it's my only caffine. I do not drink soda, or anything like that. I quit drinking alcohol about 7 months ago.

Sleep is a tricky thing. Without alcohol or much caffine I should be sleeping better than ever right? Meh. It's average at the moment. Alot goes into good sleep. Like consistant wake and sleep times. Diet and exercise. Your bed and mattress. Room temp. And the huuuuuge one. Stress.

I'm sure limiting your caffine and maybe alcohol will help your sleep. But it probably isn't going to transform your sleep. And quiting outright for me was damn near harder than quitting smoking cold turkey was.

Site Supporter
    I have been all over the spectrum.

Probably got up to a gallon of coffee a day in grad school.

No caffeine from probably 2014 to 2020 mainly related to IBS and digestive issues.

Things have resolved some and I make a 12 oz pour over coffee in the morning and maybe green tea in the afternoon.

I try to keep the caffeine under 200 mg per day not to stress out all the adrenals.

User Tag List