Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why or Why Not an HSC 380 or an Ortgies 32?

I'm really not sure why anyone is assuming I don't have a plethora of choices of daily tools for self defense, nor already have fairly high skills & legit training.

Was asking the pros and cons of getting one of these.

But out of the old ones, these two designs are pretty safe ones that can be carried in safe ways ready to go without a safety that is horribly designed like many others that therefore need either condition 3 carry-a no go for me, or loaded not necessarily drop safe and a safety that would need a bad guy to wait a minute as you manage to take it off in a unergonomic way. Ortgies hopefully would have a working grip safety. HSC DA pull. Both very thought out usable designs and engineering. Even if I did have one, one day, on me when needed I highly doubt statistically I would die in the streetz. In fact, of these designs I think the highest extremely low percentage chance of anything wrong in that precise moment would be an Ortgies just happen to be warn down that exact day and going burrrrrrrpppppp. That's the only severe breakage I am aware of, other than the grips being f'd up some on many.

Because they are classic old and I don't own anything pre 60's, look cool, functional engineering better than most of the era etc. HSC not only an art deco beauty, but earliest pistol of Alex Seidel.....so maybe it would keep the HK I am actually carrying 1/3rd of the time happy. I have a 9 and a 40 that split most of the time based on weight for that day, with a 45 and a 357 option carried less often. Because I can. And all shoot to high standards for me.

There is not nearly enough enabling going on here. Though an Ortgies would mean buying .32 ammo which costs a good deal, and an HSC well I would hope it would mostly run with at least one brand of ammo and not just being something to look at occasionally. Getting some 380 makes more sense...because it would enable something else more modern perhaps....but wasn't sure if HSCs would run, with hotter Euro ammo or not. WW2 .32s were better I guess, but then ammo cost and possible bad WW1 WW2 pistol collecting may start. So is a later run 380 HSC more likely to not run, or may run with something like PPU or Fiocchi maybe

Thanks
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 05-02-2024 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'll admit a bit of an obsession fondness for various pre WWII mouseguns, and actually have a couple*- but I wouldn't tote one for self-defense.
    Even if I was able to track down a nice Bayard 1908 in .32acp or FN 1910 - I'd carry an LCP or Shield.

*but NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!
    The movie Flame and Citron got me started.

I think I would love and maybe even a couple times carry a 1908 if it was modern and drop safe. I belive one company is making such but expensive?

Keep in mind I kind of suggested the new Pistol Enabling thread

And I have Belt carry choices w premium JHPs

And a micro 9 or two or snub or two for pocket already covered

Thanks just having fun and wondering which way I should sway on this itch

32 doesn't make much sense. 380 could theoretically be carried if was vetted reliable and hydrashok deep just managed to function but that's a lot of ifs...and really just want to know if hsc 380 may function pretty good w hot ammo or shouldn't do hsc unless 32.....which leads to ortgies 32 which would lead to a 1914/34 and then 1903 and I shouldn't go down that rabbit hole but I kind of want to

Save me or enable me.

380 I could get a security 380 or bersa Plus just because. Before Ammo crisis again which another reason I Like 40.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 05-02-2024 at 06:54 AM.

I remember reading some articles about the Ortgies in a Gun Digest annual maybe 25 or more years ago. The guy was using it for a plinker. I don't remember reading much about the HSC.

32 ACP ammo is available online for around $25 a box. 380 is pretty common and it's cheaper.

I vote enable. Buy it and report back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I remember reading some articles about the Ortgies in a Gun Digest annual maybe 25 or more years ago. The guy was using it for a plinker. I don't remember reading much about the HSC.

32 ACP ammo is available online for around $25 a box. 380 is pretty common and it's cheaper.

I vote enable. Buy it and report back to us.

I'm not sure if you're a friend or an enemy but thanks ☺️

And Ortgies were made in the absolutely devastating. 25 and while old .25 autos are cool too I'd feel much better handing grandma a 32 ... I mean ww1 and 32s do penetrate enough and worked forevee or lend whatever girlfriend I had at the time a 380 or 9. Theoretically of course, before that accident and theft where sadly nearly all were lost.

A 380 loaner or train new females on isn't horrible idea
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 05-02-2024 at 08:01 AM.

I prefer the Berettas myself. I have the M1934 in .380, a 1935 in ..32' and a 948 in .22LR

.Name:  1935Berettas 008.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  56.2 KBName:  1944ManufDateBerettaM1935-7.65mm.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  38.8 KBName:  Beretta50ftSmall.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  53.6 KB
    Name:  1935BerettaPostwarCommercial.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  52.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I think I would love and maybe even a couple times carry a 1908 if it was modern and drop safe...
    Try a FN 1910 but with better sights smithed on in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My preference for an HSC would be the HK-4, if I could afford one or find one.
    Local FFL has one in their used inventory, has had it for a while. In .32. Currently asking $655. One mag, no box.

Site Supporter
    I had an HSc in .380, wish it had been in .32 honestly. It is like a PPK recoil wise, I always preferred the .32 PPK and PPK/S models. The auto closing of the slide when you insert a magazine was kind of cool. It did have a heavy DA trigger. I probably should have kept it but like so many cool things I owned over the years I ended up selling it for some reason or another in the late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I prefer the Berettas myself. I have the M1934 in .380, a 1935 in ..32' and a 948 in .22LR

.Name:  1935Berettas 008.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  56.2 KBName:  1944ManufDateBerettaM1935-7.65mm.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  38.8 KBName:  Beretta50ftSmall.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  53.6 KB
    Name:  1935BerettaPostwarCommercial.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  52.9 KB

I would like a 1934 first kind of beretta open top slide I believe, though that safety to take off looks not awesome for practical usage. I've kind of become intrigued how most was still getting figured out re safe but ready carry

Nice Shooter in 380?

User Tag List