Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I think I want a canoe

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I saw an ad on CL in WV for a Grumman Eagle 17. For reasons, I decided I wanted an aluminum canoe, and this particular one is supposed to be about the top of the line for Grumman. The guy called me back at 9 tonight (a few hours ago) saying he'd sell it, and like an idiot, I told him sure I'd be there at 8, never mind that it's 2-3 hours away and that my work truck isn't set up to haul a canoe. So I got off that phone call, ate supper, took an hour long phone call, then welded up a rear canoe rack out of scrap that fits in the 2" hitch receiver and gets the canoe level with the headboard of my truck. Lashed it down so it couldn't sway side to side with the slop in the hitch, lashed it forward, then lashed a toolbox onto the flatbed to carry various straps and such. Put my GPS in the truck and the $375 he's asking, and it's 2 a.m. and I'm headed to bed for about 3 hours' sleep before I head north.

Yesterday was my last day without a canoe unless something goes really wrong.
    Was coming back in here to see if you ever got a canoe! Safe travels and please post pics when you are back home, safe, and rested.

Site Supporter
    Yep, yep, yep!!!! Canoe owner here now. It's my first and only watercraft. It came with 2 mismatched old single-ended paddles. It has one dent just ahead of the stern but is otherwise pristine. The owner also sold me on a set of Spring Creek outrigger / sponson / pontoons that can be used if you've got unruly kids etc in the boat and you want to keep it sunny-side-up. Also he threw in a Bass Pro motor mount. And I forgot (#^&*!!!!) to pick up the big fishing seats that he had for it, but he says he'll bring them next time he comes my way.

It transported just fine on my early-morning-built rack with no movement, but I need to adjust the angle of the crossbar as well as cut down the vertical section and reweld it so that the canoe doesn't touch the roof of the truck. (Some idiot forgot that the canoe has a sloping line along the gunwales, lowest in the middle and highest at the ends, while he was bright-idea-ing the concept of a rear rack section that was equal heights with the headboard.)

Also need to make my rack mechanical-attach-only and eliminate having 3 straps holding it from flopping around in that loose 2" receiver. I think some properly placed support arms and pins will make it solid and yet still quick-releasable. Then weld a few convenient D-rings hear and there and voila! A super fast and stable transport system. I just realized I talked more about the rack than the canoe....I guess that's the welder in me, sorry

So I think I'm going to head down to Dick's Sporting Goods and pick up some paddles (or are they oars?) for the canoe and some life jackets. Do I want double-ended kayak-style paddles? Sometimes I'm going to be paddling this by myself and sometimes I'll probably be paddling with someone of less strength. Just wondering if having a single-ended paddle is going to make me have to switch back and forth all the time if I don't go double-ended. I'm sure it's an idiot question, but it's already been established that I'm an idiot....

Name:  GrummanEagleA.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  GrummanEagleB.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  GrummanEagleC.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  99.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Yep, yep, yep!!!! Canoe owner here now. It's my first and only watercraft. It came with 2 mismatched old single-ended paddles. It has one dent just ahead of the stern but is otherwise pristine. The owner also sold me on a set of Spring Creek outrigger / sponson / pontoons that can be used if you've got unruly kids etc in the boat and you want to keep it sunny-side-up. Also he threw in a Bass Pro motor mount. And I forgot (#^&*!!!!) to pick up the big fishing seats that he had for it, but he says he'll bring them next time he comes my way.

It transported just fine on my early-morning-built rack with no movement, but I need to adjust the angle of the crossbar as well as cut down the vertical section and reweld it so that the canoe doesn't touch the roof of the truck. (Some idiot forgot that the canoe has a sloping line along the gunwales, lowest in the middle and highest at the ends, while he was bright-idea-ing the concept of a rear rack section that was equal heights with the headboard.)

Also need to make my rack mechanical-attach-only and eliminate having 3 straps holding it from flopping around in that loose 2" receiver. I think some properly placed support arms and pins will make it solid and yet still quick-releasable. Then weld a few convenient D-rings hear and there and voila! A super fast and stable transport system. I just realized I talked more about the rack than the canoe....I guess that's the welder in me, sorry

So I think I'm going to head down to Dick's Sporting Goods and pick up some paddles (or are they oars?) for the canoe and some life jackets. Do I want double-ended kayak-style paddles? Sometimes I'm going to be paddling this by myself and sometimes I'll probably be paddling with someone of less strength. Just wondering if having a single-ended paddle is going to make me have to switch back and forth all the time if I don't go double-ended. I'm sure it's an idiot question, but it's already been established that I'm an idiot....

Name:  GrummanEagleA.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  GrummanEagleB.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  GrummanEagleC.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  99.1 KB
    You don't want a kayak paddle. In a canoe by yourself or with a weak front paddler, you do something called a 'J-stroke' where you push water away to the side at the end of your stroke. This keeps you from having to switch sides. It's a little awkward at first but smooth once you get the hang of it.

doubled?

We didn't sing it this nicely when we were in Scouts, but you need to learn this:

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    You don't want a kayak paddle. In a canoe by yourself or with a weak front paddler, you do something called a 'J-stroke' where you push water away to the side at the end of your stroke. This keeps you from having to switch sides. It's a little awkward at first but smooth once you get the hang of it.
    You can go either way. It's not at all uncommon for solo canoeists, especially in smaller boats, to use a double-ended paddle. But it's worth learning the J stroke for situations where a double-ender would be unwieldy, and to compensate for weaker help in the front, etc.

Oars are used with oarlocks.

As long as there are no safety concerns (temperature, everyone being able to swim, etc.), kids getting dunked can be a harmless form of "educational beat down" in which they learn to take physics and environments more interesting than the couch a little more seriously.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

this Old Town 119 Solo Sportsman boat has sent me way down the kayak/canoe or "pack-boat" rabbit hole

that has led to higher-end versions. I watched all 38 minutes of this at normal speed and I pretty much never watch anything on youtube over 10 minutes

I REALLY want a Pack 13.8 in the black/yellow weave exterior they call "Amber" and the "Basalt Innegra" interior.

Name:  EK_Amber-377x251.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  55.7 KB

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List