Thread: front sight installation options

front sight installation options

I have a 3" cut down (was longer) barrel for a S&W K-frame. It needs a front sight installed. I'd appreciated suggestions for gunsmiths.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have a 3" cut down (was longer) barrel for a S&W K-frame. It needs a front sight installed. I'd appreciated suggestions for gunsmiths.
    Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating & Weaponry in Newville, AL
    Dave Laubert at Defensive Creations, LLC in OH

I have a S&W #58 41 magnum, I also have a spare 4" barrel.

I considered having the spare cut to 3".

I also considered having the barrel, either cut or uncut, dovetailed for a front sight so as to have windage ajustment.

Name:  IMG_9943.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  24.2 KB

I had a local guy just cut a Novak dovetail for mine. Then install a Novak 1911 front sight and cut to the correct height for your ammo. Then order a correct height tritium or fiber optic sight if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Name:  IMG_9943.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  24.2 KB

I had a local guy just cut a Novak dovetail for mine. Then install a Novak 1911 front sight and cut to the correct height for your ammo. Then order a correct height tritium or fiber optic sight if desired.
    Lee:

I'd do what BN suggested. Send the barrel to Novak's and ask them to cut you a dovetail and install a tall ramped front sight. I know Novak's offers that option on semiautos for about $70 which is pretty inexpensive. Call them to confirm that they can handle a barrel. I have had them cut dovetails (and install sights) on an FN Hi Power. They did a fabulous job with reasonable prices and quick turnaround time. If you have a local gunsmith set up to do the milling, you could have it done locally.

Please send photos when the project is done.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

I used Fink's on the 64-6 you handled at TacCon. The front sight is a Dawson Precision Novak FO front .160T x .125W.

User Tag List