Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Antonio RFI (relocation)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

YMMV but that was our medical choice. Same with the Dentist. Had a old nice conservative guy who retired, the new guy _ OMG, you're mouth will explode any day - root canals, crowns, unscrew your head and put it back on. Moved to the Dental private practice and guess what still have those exploding death for the most part.

Here - we had a go around with similar dental crooks, found a better one on the recommendation of my internist (who was a Special Forces doc, gun guy and still trains in such med). Trusted him and found a good dentist.
    Thanks!

Had the same exact dentist experience last year in the Leander / Georgetown area. We had better luck with our GPs. Our insurance coverage/network is good, and Im not afraid to (politely) call out a quack when I see one. We'll likely be fine after the initial search is done.

Site Supporter
    A study found that 1/3 of dentists over suggested expensive procedures. Didn't save the link but it seemed legit. Our dentists might comment but it said that the wide spread use of fluoride killed the bread and butter of small practice dentistry so they moved to cosmetic dentistry and suggesting all the crowns, etc. When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual to go in for a checkup and a few cavities. Now, I haven't had one for years.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Other than the current plague of Auto burglary and theft, if you are sticking to middle-class areas, the incident of random crime is low.

If you go to the hood or events that bring out the hood rats like late nights at fiesta downtown it is what it is.
    Thank you for taking the time to write these extensive posts. Very very helpful.

The quoted portion in particular was something I could somewhat infer from crime maps, SAPD callout stats etc, but its always difficult to tell without having experience/knowledge with the 'AO'.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    As a counter proposal, have you considered a little further north? With the exception of Killeen which is very easy to avoid, Bell County has a lot going for it.
    We have friends in Salado and Temple, and also enjoy trips further north to Waco occasionally. Never really considered moving there, reason being I enjoy the 'job security' that comes from being within 20-50 minutes commute distance from a large metro area..could be Austin or San Antonio. I've seen too many ex-colleagues and friends get their teleworker status revoked with a couple of weeks notice.

Salado is a little bit too small (but lovely !) and Temple is too far from the rel. metro area (Austin in this example).

I'm probably overcomplicating this, and my wife is a proponent of 'lets move to a place we like, we'll figure out the job stuff if the SHTF"

By the way, if you live in the area .. there is a good chance that we crossed paths at a range or competition.

Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    We have friends in Salado and Temple, and also enjoy trips further north to Waco occasionally. Never really considered moving there, reason being I enjoy the 'job security' that comes from being within 20-50 minutes commute distance from a large metro area..could be Austin or San Antonio. I've seen too many ex-colleagues and friends get their teleworker status revoked with a couple of weeks notice.

Salado is a little bit too small (but lovely !) and Temple is too far from the rel. metro area (Austin in this example).

I'm probably overcomplicating this, and my wife is a proponent of 'lets move to a place we like, we'll figure out the job stuff if the SHTF"

By the way, if you live in the area .. there is a good chance that we crossed paths at a range or competition.
    We’re in Belton and are in Austin very frequently. It’s :45 to Georgetown or Waco and less than an hour to Round Rock. It works well for us. But my limited exposure to San Antonio shows definite pluses!

I’m still new enough to Texas that I doubt we’ve run across each other yet.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List