Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My New Favorite 1911 Clipz? The CMC Railed Power Mag!

Some related videos:

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    My memory could be failing me. Or it could be that Check Mate will make whatever combo of spring/follower/tube you want.
    CheckMate provides mags to a lot of makers, and it is certainly possible they may make mags for Les Baer, but in all my years with 1911's, and on various forums, I've never seen anybody make a connection between CheckMate mags and Les Baer mags. CheckMate does have more than one follower option, but I've never seen a CheckMate mag with a polymer follower.

Ed Brown mags are currently a CheckMate product. Perhaps you're confusing Ed Brown and Les Baer.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Perhaps you're confusing Ed Brown and Les Baer.
    I'm probably confusing Check-Mate with Metalform.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

I note that this is one of the only mags I have that has the more tapered FMJ feed lips.
    My hybrid CheckMates are tapered feed lips.

You statement jogged something out of my memory.

Loading the 8th round in the mag starts easy and starts to drag as I force it to the rear of the mag.

I wonder if the tapered feed lips have something to do with that.

The mag spring is not that long compared to the mag tube length, but the spring wire is a larger OD.

Maybe the spring is close to bottoming out as the last round is seated in the mag.

My MCOP is currently apart, and the slide was sent to Schauland Performance for a new taller front sight.

I will "mess" with those mags when I get my slide back.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    The one piece of technology from CMC that did migrate to the Wilson mags is the railed feed lips are also now available on Wilson's 10 rounders.

https://wilsoncombat.com/magazine-19...on-system.html
    I have a set of three of those for shooting drills that call for 10 in the gun, and so far they work flawlessly across three different 1911s. I was expecting more drama from a 10rd mag.

Well, the new CMCs work. At least in my SIG. I'll have to dust a couple other 1911s off and see how they like the RPMs.

Ammo used was 200 LSWC, some 230 ball and then some Berrys 200 and 230 grain HHP. All rounds fed and the slide locked back each time.

I'll have to pick up a couple more of the 8 rounders and maybe one more 10 rounder.

The RPMs continue to work as they should and I'm pleased with them so far.

Just FYI Wilson Combat has mags on sale for Memorial Day. Here's a link to the Chippies.

https://wilsoncombat.com/accessories...ufacturer=6358

For 10-round .45ACP 1911 mags, I've been using CMC Railed Power Mags (RPM); regular CMC Power Mags; and Wilson-Combat mags. I actually don't know the exact model names of the others. The 3 or 4 different brands and models all work in my present, maybe last, of my four 1911s, all 5" .45ACP.

The RPMs were a bit more in price and I don't know if or when I'll need to replace any of these 10-rounders, whether the RPMs or the other brands/models. I do keep all these mags loaded, however, and could later experience feed lip spreading I suppose.

Tokarev/Post-1, I'm wondering if the mags which fail to lock open have its mag bodies in the feed lip area spreading a bit too far apart. I seem to remember H. Yam on the old 10-8 Forums stated an upper limit of .375", measured at the very back & top of the feed lips.

Even so, the problem mags' follower area will be more toward the top-front of the magazine body. I'm imagining the Tripp mag follower(s) are bypassing the slide stop lobe. If a different slide stop is available, trying another slide-stop could also be a remedy, but a given 1911's slide-stop may need to be fitted (which I admit I'm not good at doing).

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I'm imagining the Tripp mag follower(s) are bypassing the slide stop lobe. If a different slide stop is available, trying another slide-stop could also be a remedy, but a given 1911's slide-stop may need to be fitted (which I admit I'm not good at doing).
    The followers aren't jumping past the lobe. They simply aren't coming up high enough to reliablly push the slide stop into the notch. I assume this is a combination of several factors tied to both follower height inside the tubes and then the lobe on the stop itself.

Honestly, I'm not too concerned with investigating it fully. I have other mags that work fine in the SIG and then the converted Power Mags work fine in other 1911s. I'll just make a note not to use the converted PMs in the SIG. And then as feed lips spread and/or the PMs become unreliable in other guns I'll toss them out and move on to something else.

Last edited by Tokarev; 05-23-2024 at 02:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    For .45 mags, is there a meaningful difference/preference between the CMC railed 10-rounder and the ETM railed 10-rounder? Linked below. Thanks!

https://wilsoncombat.com/magazine-19...stainless.html

https://wilsoncombat.com/magazine-19...on-system.html

User Tag List