Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SRO false dot with a low sun angle

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The best warranty is the one you don't need...

I'm rather glad I decided to shoot single stack .45 in last week's USPSA match- I know exactly what my SRO would have done in this situation.

(and yes that array in the middle was completely illegal...)
    Perhaps I just have bad luck but I have broken Aimpoint, Steiner, Leupold, Vortex, Trijicon, Sig and Holosun optics enough times that warranty is something important to me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

False dot and intensity selected

This morning, around 10 AM with a reasonably high sun, I was shooting a SRO and not having issues with a false dot. I moved pretty far back and decided to turn my dot down in intensity to help with target focus and seeing the small targets. I then started having problems with a false dot on the draw. I then turned the intensity back up, and the problem went away. This makes me think that when you have the dot turned down it is more susceptible to seeing splatter or dots that confuse you. I will make sure to run my SRO up high in intensity.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This morning, around 10 AM with a reasonably high sun, I was shooting a SRO and not having issues with a false dot. I moved pretty far back and decided to turn my dot down in intensity to help with target focus and seeing the small targets. I then started having problems with a false dot on the draw. I then turned the intensity back up, and the problem went away. This makes me think that when you have the dot turned down it is more susceptible to seeing splatter or dots that confuse you. I will make sure to run my SRO up high in intensity.
    I remember four years ago, shooting the Cooper Cup on the Hanneken range at Gunsite, sun was at about 11 o’clock and I had three distinct equally bright dots. I remember this very clearly because I shot a 4 inch group at 25 yards, in what would be a USPSA Delta scoring zone. Picked the wrong dot. Needless to say I did not have a particularly good score. I did have the (2.5 moa) SRO cranked one click below maximum. Similar issues have been exceedingly rare and I have never been caught out like that again since.

If I’m not mistaken, you’re using the 5.0 MOA model? If so, your technique might very well mitigate the problem with that size dot. But I’m not sure it would work on a smaller reticle.

User Tag List