Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22

Ruger 10/22

I don’t see a general 10/22 thread, so here goes.

Like most people, I have a couple of 10/22s around the house ranging from a little Charger I’m building up with the intention of Form 1ing it to a heavy barrel target build I did over 20 years ago. I’ve always liked them for their reliability and buildability.

Now I have three more under my care. My wife’s late husband was an enthusiastic shooter who learned on .22s at a young age. When the kids were born, he bought each a 10/22 - they were stored at a relative’s after his death - now they’re here. It’s time to get the kids to the range, I finally joined the local club. I want them to carry on their daddy’s traditions.

I’m trying to decide if the kids would do best to learn on the admittedly rough factory irons, if I should upgrade them to peeps like Techsites or even add simple red dots. My goal is to minimize their frustration as they learn.

I’m leaning toward peeps. Any comments?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

3 rifles? What about 3 different kinds of sights and let them switch off trying them at first.

Unless they have each chosen a particular rifle.

My kids all started on an old single shot bolt action with iron sights and they all liked it. I also had a 10-22 with a variable 1 to 3 power scope on it. The 1 power allowed them to have a good eye relief easily.

At the time, a local shooting range had a kids day every year with 5 or 6 bays set up with different types of targets in each bay including Tannerite inside old stuffed animals.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    3 rifles? What about 3 different kinds of sights and let them switch off trying them at first.

Unless they have each chosen a particular rifle.
    They each have their own, so I can’t do that. What I can do is let them try with the factory sights but also see what mine are like - I have Tech Sights on one, and a RDS on another. Then they can decide.

In my heart I’d like to see them work with peeps and shoot Appleseed with them.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I installed an XS Sight Systems ghost ring sight set on one of my 10/22s about 20 years ago. I really enjoy shooting with these sights. They're on my knock-about 10/22 that always goes to the range with me.

https://xssights.com/products/sights...-sights/ruger/

I think learning peep's early does help with some basics, and it certainly would not preclude upgrading each with an optic at some point once they have learned on those. No evidence to back that, just my gut feel. My first introduction to the peep was starting NRA highpower competition in my late 20's with an M1A and later an AR15/A2, and it was a lot to learn having never been exposed to them at all before.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Going to be age dependent but I've seen young shooters who could make sense of aligning irons but couldn't get behind a scope right

The plot thickens, and brings joy to @Lex Luthier’s heart.

All three are Mannlicher stock versions. Two are stainless and birch (for the twins) and one blued and laminate (the Honey Badger’s which was purchased four years later.) Clarence had class when it came to firearms.

I really like the idea of peeps, if not Tech Sights maybe the Williams peeps with a FO front: https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ec...er-ru22-001469
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

I’m trying to decide if the kids would do best to learn on the admittedly rough factory irons, if I should upgrade them to peeps like Techsites or even add simple red dots. My goal is to minimize their frustration as they learn.

I’m leaning toward peeps. Any comments?
    If the goal is to make shooting as easy to learn and as fun as possible as soon as possible, then I suggest starting with a red dot.

Later on, it’s pretty easy to teach someone who already enjoys shooting and knows how to do everything else with a gun just how to use irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I really like the idea of peeps, if not Tech Sights maybe the Williams peeps with a FO front: https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ec...er-ru22-001469
    I have those with a FO front on one of my 10/22s and like them a great deal. Like I really do not need that particular 10/22, but seems like I never remember to get around to selling it...
    When they are beginning you can spin the aperture right out and have a ghost ring. And there are several optional apertures.
    And they make this version that is integrated with a rail base, so if they want to evolve to a dot or scope you can maintain the elegance of the peep.

I saw that rail base version, Ruger is selling it as a base to use with their Mini-14 style folder which has a higher comb.

One advantage to the AR style Tech Sights is that they can transition to EBRs later, but in reality I think they would be hideous with the Mannlicher stock.
    Ken

User Tag List