Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB: Leather vs Kydex Holsters?

I want to say that I have not had any problems with sweat and rusty guns with leather holsters.

I'm a devout SME user for the 1911/hipower. Mine aren't tight, but they've been in use for a long time. I believe SLG said that the leather was better in a tussle, cause even if the gun becomes unseated, it's still got friction to aid in it staying in place. As opposed to kydex, a pistol is out and "in play" as soon at the retention is defeated

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm a devout SME user for the 1911/hipower. Mine aren't tight, but they've been in use for a long time. I believe SLG said that the leather was better in a tussle, cause even if the gun becomes unseated, it's still got friction to aid in it staying in place. As opposed to kydex, a pistol is out and "in play" as soon at the retention is defeated
    Paul Gomez had the same opinion.

"The advantage of kydex is it is fast. The disadvantage of kydex is it is fast."

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations! Checking out all the options, glad to see there's more options for the P239 than I originally found.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    If the above makes don’t have a 239 offering, which I doubt; OTG makes some good stuff and they offer the 239.

https://otghex.com/products/mki-inside-waistband
    Thanks! Haven't heard of them, looks like a solid option. How do you find their products different from other kydex holsters, like Vedder?

Also, do you recommend the suede inner or outer liner? Wondering how you set yours up.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Broken in leather is very comfortable. Downside is its thicker and absorbs sweat. Kydex is thin and light and can wear finishes quicker. It does not absorb moisture.
    I know some leather holster makers coat the leather with an acrylic sealant, to keep sweat out. I wonder if you could condition the leather with beeswax or olive oil or another more traditional option, and have it be sweat-resistant. I'm not too knowledgeable about the properties of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I am actually doing an experiment on leather vs kydex holster draws. I did the first test today and I need to crunch the numbers a little, but what I can see there is not a huge difference between the 4 holsters that I tested (5 Shot SME, Garrity Gunleather In-Victus, Tenicor G17 Velo, and a PHLster Enigma with a JMCK shell and a Junk Pillow).
    Really cool test - no discernable results?

I've only found one test online, for him the draw about about 1 second slower on the leather.

I know seconds can count, but in a real life scenario I wonder if a second would make much difference. (I could see how the draw being different each time might make a difference, causing one to fumble perhaps. Sometime I need to experiment with myself).

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The 5Shot SME is still the most comfortable holster I've ever used. I carried a P30 in it daily for years.

It was tight on the draw at first. I was OK with that as it made carrying the gun so much more practical on a day-to-day basis that I didn't mind. Eventually it loosened up enough so that there was only a slight bit of drag on the draw. The retention was nice, however, when you're forced to drop trou in a public restroom in an NPE.

Corrosion was never an issue, but I was packing a P30 which as far as I can tell is a pistol that is about as impervious to it as anything on the market.
    I've heard good things about the SME. Is it one-size-fits-all? Seems like they only make a 1911 and a pistol option, I was curious how that worked.

And in the restroom, what do you do with the holster? (Since people can see under the stalls, I was wondering about that).

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Good point on the leather. Seems like kydex and leather both have solid pros/cons, I guess it all boils down to each persons environment.

Does your SME still have good retention that it's been in use for a long time, and isn't tight?

Quote Originally Posted by sigsag1 View Post
    Does your SME still have good retention that it's been in use for a long time, and isn't tight?
    My belly provides the retention.

It'll fall out of the holster if you hold it upside down

I know some leather holster makers coat the leather with an acrylic sealant, to keep sweat out. I wonder if you could condition the leather with beeswax or olive oil or another more traditional option, and have it be sweat-resistant. I'm not too knowledgeable about the properties of leather.
    Anecdotes not being data and all, but I have sweat through a Milt Sparks SS2, and have not sweat through an Andrews McDaniell II. I recall Sam mentioning that he uses some type of sealant, and doesn't experience sweat through in Florida.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Sam builds a helluva holster. This one has been through gallons of sweat. And rainstorms and everything else.

Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  60.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Kydex that is LEATHER LINED!

Garrett:
    https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst3000.htm

I currently have two of these. EDC it with my commander sized 9mm 1911.
    +1 for leather-lined Kydex holsters from Garrett. I have several. Excellent holsters and excellent customer service.

IMO, leather-lined Kydex is the best of both worlds.

Really cool test - no discernable results?
    Here is what I got in my testing.

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-05-14 14-43-01.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  46.5 KB

User Tag List