Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The forgotten .38 snubby

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Nice stuff

Can’t seem to find much anywhere, but could you tell me where your M&P 340’s print? Not sure if there’s not many in circulation or if no one has bothered to find out.

Thanks
    Both of mine print exactly the same with the variety of ammo I commonly carry and use. By that I mean the POI is directly under the front dot's NS capsule out to 15yds, in my hands, like the old Ashley Express and now the XS company shows in their literature. (Moves to top of 'dot' at longer distances.)

I've tried a variety lot of different loads for accuracy, and also checking for bullet pull. The ones I found printed nicely, tightly and to POA in my M&P 340's, in my hands ...

.38 SPL:

The old 158gr +P LHP (Rem & W-W).

Speer 135gr +P GDHP

W-W 130gr +P RA38B (same as PDX1 commercially packaged).

Rem 125gr +P GS, but they became harder to find locally, and when I went to replace them found it annoying that the company had decided to go from 25rd boxes to 20rd boxes. Having the extra 5rds used to be an advertising and selling point for Remington when the 20rd box craze came along for everyone else.

Speer 125gr +P GS (I mostly save it for range fodder, since that older 125gr GD wasn't really designed for barrels shorter than 4").

Hornady 110gr standard pressure CD(FTX). I really only got that standard pressure load for us in my 37DAO, since it was made on the older Airweight frame, but I ran some through my M&P's, and it showed itself to be a tack-driver (again, in my M&P's, in my hands).

.357MAG:

Rem 125gr SJHP

W-W 145gr STHP

Fed 130gr Hydra-Shok

I tried some other Magnum loads, but they either exhibited signs of bullet pull, and/or the heavier bullet weights offered more recoil 'slam' against my palm than I desired to be able to run fast and controllable shot-strings.

I got my first M&P 340 when they were first announced. At that time I was still able to call the company and get an armorer discount to directly order a gun (and have it shipped to my cop shop FFL for the paperwork). The LE sales person told me I was getting one from the first production run of the new model. Aside, from the artfully covered up screwdriver gouge around the yoke screw (covered with apparently black marker, which came off the first time I cleaned it), it was a very nice example. I'd bought it as a ranger beater and off-duty weapon, so the cosmetic scar was only annoying. It's acquired a lot more dings, dents, scratches and signs of wear since then.

I bought the second one when they decided to offer a model without the ILS (aka No-Lock model). Why not? It seemed a good excuse to buy another one. (And I could still get the LE discount.)

They've both taking a bit of a pounding, as I bought them as shooters (and had access to a LE range inventory that stocked .38SPL and +P), and I burned up some Magnum loads just to keep things interesting. (And to prove I could.)

I haven't really kept up with the S&W catalog for a while, but it looks like the version with the Lock, and the M&P 360, aren't in the current catalog. Just the M&P 340 No-Lock version.

FWIW, I didn't order mine because they were chambered in .357MAG. I was primarily interested in the XS NS set up, the Scandium-alloyed aluminum frame and the blackened (PVD) stainless cylinder. I'd have ordered the gun if it had only been chambered in .38SPL +P. If I remember right, many years ago LAPD ordered a version chambered in .38SPL +P, available for sale to its officers through its academy store, but I can't remember if it had the ILS (Lock) or not.

I added some UM boot grips to both of mine, which added an ounce to the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am currently searching for a snub solution that gives me a hammer to block. I'm paranoid
    Look into the original S&W Bodyguard or Lightweight Bodyguard. These are different that the current plastic frame Bodyguard which only seems to have a marginal reputation for reliability. Most notable of the older Bodyguards are probably the 638, 639, and 649, all in stainless steel. As I mentioned, there are also lightweights available.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Look into the original S&W Bodyguard or Lightweight Bodyguard. These are different that the current plastic frame Bodyguard which only seems to have a marginal reputation for reliability. Most notable of the older Bodyguards are probably the 638, 639, and 649, all in stainless steel. As I mentioned, there are also lightweights available.
    Good plan. I have a 638 and enjoy the hammer access for safety purposes. Carries the same as a 642/centennial style j frame. Also, so the Bodyguard line are so ugly they are cute.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am currently searching for a snub solution that gives me a hammer to block. I'm paranoid
    Index/trigger finger in high register on a cylinder flute will tell you if the trigger is being pressed and the cylinder is moving while holstering.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The Tauris 856 2" with a bobbed hammer was my answer for the same question. Even though some folks feel some ways about the Brazilian guns, literally the only thing I want for it is an extended firing pin, and that's not super important, it would just let me get a trigger as nice as my old 638 with an Apex kit.

It is heavier, tho. I only really pocket it when I'm wearing heavy cargo pants. Otherwise, it's a fine belt gun or jacket pocket gun and shoots better for me than an airweight, and has a 6th shot. The only snubs that I like more are my model 36 and my model 432UC.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I picked up a worn but cheap used blued 856 and really like it. Since it was already ugly I bobbed the hammer, thinned the trigger guard a touch and filed and sanded all the sharp edges off. I put an old set of Uncle Mike's boot grips on it and is is great. Shoot Fed GMM WC right to point of aim and doesn't kick.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Yeah, I agree! I have been debating sending a 638 off to D&L for a good set of sights. I wish Taurus would offer the same sight setup on their 856 as they do on the 942 and UL380. I have seen pics of some vintage custom Colts and S&W done like this.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post

Yeah, I agree! I have been debating sending a 638 off to D&L for a good set of sights. I wish Taurus would offer the same sight setup on their 856 as they do on the 942 and UL380. I have seen pics of some vintage custom Colts and S&W done like this.

Are you talking about the rear sight on the 942? I was going to say I assume you know that Taurus sells an Ameriglo pinned front sight for the small frame revolvers and XS makes a small dot replacement pinned front sight as well for the Taurus small frame

The Ameriglo Taurus sight is $30 or and would be nice on your 'beat up' 856
    https://shoptaurus.com/shop-by-model...rame-revolvers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    Are you talking about the rear sight on the 942? I was going to say I assume you know that Taurus sells an Ameriglo pinned front sight for the small frame revolvers and XS makes a small dot replacement pinned front sight as well for the Taurus small frame

The Ameriglo Taurus sight is $30 or and would be nice on your 'beat up' 856
    https://shoptaurus.com/shop-by-model...rame-revolvers
    Yes, I am talking specifically about the rear sight that is inlet into the topstrap that allows for a higher profile / more visible sight picture, particularly on the stainless guns.

I have the Ameriglo front ordered but it hasn’t arrived yet. That will be the next update. Those things sell out fast!

Site Supporter
    The universe apparently still has a sense of humor. My sights arrived at the office today. Took a couple minutes to install at my desk. It is a real shame that S&W site replacement can't be that fast and easy.

I blackened the very bottom of the orange to make sure I keep a better sight picture.

These are a couple of the pictures of the old guns with custom sight I referenced earlier. Seems like it would be an easy enough modification. Apologies to whoever took these pictures. No idea who they belong to nor how to give credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Friends,

Its been SUPER busy around here, between keeping up with kids, normal house things, and running the ammo business. The .32 H&R ammo has been incredibly popular. Never ever would have guessed that it would have taken off like it has. Understandably so, as it really is a phenomenal cartridge and in guns like the new Lipsey's Ultimate Carry J Frame, or even an LCR, it is a sweet little carry gun, and comfortable to shoot. I know I have shot mine a good bit.
    Lost River,

Great thread. Is the poly coated wadcutter your carry load in the .38 j frame? If not, what is? Do you carry a different load if out and about in the boonies?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    Lost River,

Great thread. Is the poly coated wadcutter your carry load in the .38 j frame? If not, what is? Do you carry a different load if out and about in the boonies?

Thanks
    Yes it is.

For my J Frame, one I started shooting/loading the poly coated 148 wadcutters, I completely stopped purchasing the standard hard cast version. I saw no reason not to standardize on them in my 442. They shoot great and I can shoot more and clean less. Really no downside. In the boonies it is the same load, as in town for the 442.

User Tag List