Page 128 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1316

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On the subject of 44 versus 10mm, that is settled for my wife and I, and we would take a 10mm any day because of the capacity and our currency of training with semi auto pistols. To me the more interesting question is, nine with penetrator ammo versus 10mm with penetrator ammo.
    Probably doesn’t apply to your situation, but I’ve gone 9mm. Since a Staccato C2 is my duty gun now, all my training for the last year has been on that and a steel framed P. I carried my P with Federal 147+p Solid Core in MT this past year. I’ll be taking the same to Kodiak in the fall. I’m perfectly happy with this combo, and vastly prefer it to my G20. It may not have been used on a bear, but the grouse didn’t care for it.
    Name:  D1AB0B28-F11B-4A08-AE77-86476A40E314.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  80.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Probably doesn’t apply to your situation, but I’ve gone 9mm. Since a Staccato C2 is my duty gun now, all my training for the last year has been on that and a steel framed P. I carried my P with Federal 147+p Solid Core in MT this past year. I’ll be taking the same to Kodiak in the fall. I’m perfectly happy with this combo, and vastly prefer it to my G20. It may not have been used on a bear, but the grouse didn’t care for it.
    Name:  D1AB0B28-F11B-4A08-AE77-86476A40E314.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  80.2 KB
    The reason we ditched the .44 wheel guns was it seemed silly to be carrying something we shot handfuls of cartridges a year through, as opposed to something we shot thousands of rounds a month through.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Since it’s pretty well proven that a 147/148+p 9mm hard cast will penetrate bear skulls or other bones, I am much more confident in using the same pistol that I train with weekly, and handle daily. In a life or death situation be it on the streetz or in the woods, I want the gun that I have unconscious competence with in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    As far as 9mm and 10mm are concerned.

Recently I switched production over to all Poly Coat. The punch line is that in both cartridges, they are going a bit faster and hitting harder.

The 10mm is right at 1180 from a Glock 20.

The 9mm I tested with a number of guns.

The 148 grain flat points are running as follows:

Glock 19 1116
    Glock 17 1125
    Glock 34 1156

I cannot recall the CZ 75s #s off the top of my head, but it was right there with the G17.

The G34 made me do some thinking. It is essentially the same size as a 1911. As easy as it is to shoot well (and fast), combined with the performance of the 148+Ps, I was thinking it may not be such a bad choice for a trail gun instead of a G19/17. It is about the easiest gun ever to hit with.

Every time I think that I have finally escaped being tempted by the G34, y’all pull me back in…

Of course, as many G17 pistols as I have, I could buy a G34 upper unit, rather than an entire pistol.

Some few of my LE colleagues took advantage of the modularity of Glock pistols, by shooting their quals with a G17, but then carrying the frame with a G34 slide installed, in a PD-spec G34/G35 holster. (Safariland 6360.) The G19, G23, G17, and G22 were authorized duty pistols, whereas the G34 or G35 could be a back-up or personal-time weapon, but not a “primary duty handgun.” When I transitioned back* to Glock duty pistols, in 2015, I bought a G34/G35 holster, but never got around to buying a G34 upper unit, or complete G34. Actually, if I remember correctly, I did not buy the longer holster because I wanted to be a rebel, but because Supply Division did not have a Glock holster to issue to me, and the local police supply stores were similarly out-of-stock, but, I could buy a G34/G35 holster.

*In September 2015, my then-chief added 9mm back to the OK’ed list of duty pistol cartridges. I wanted to get away from .40, the stiff aluminum alloy frame, and the higher bore axis of a SIG P229, in one move, so transitioned to the “orthopedic” G17.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Those of you choosing 9mm must be compensating by going with such a large cartridge....

Interesting thought process. I have no qualms carrying 9mm in black bear/mountain lion country, and don't think I would in big bear areas either. I like ARs more though.

Quote Originally Posted by texag View Post

Those of you choosing 9mm must be compensating by going with such a large cartridge....

Interesting thought process. I have no qualms carrying 9mm in black bear/mountain lion country, and don't think I would in big bear areas either. I like ARs more though.
    I enjoyed that.

I enjoyed this one too. Sort of related. Windshields are serious barriers.

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Anybody post the Hi-point 10 mm, 45 ACP test

https://youtu.be/ZMZshee7w4Y

That guy is a hoot.

On the fantasy level, if I am ever walking near bears again. They are black bears, six miles away but no incidents of trouble since 2018,

I have a mag of 45 ACP for my 1911 and a mag of 9 mm for my G17.

Buffalo Bore

45-255/20 - 45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN Pistol and Handgun Ammo

24L/20 - 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN

Not worried.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Anybody post the Hi-point 10 mm, 45 ACP test

https://youtu.be/ZMZshee7w4Y

That guy is a hoot.

On the fantasy level, if I am ever walking near bears again. They are black bears, six miles away but no incidents of trouble since 2018,

I have a mag of 45 ACP for my 1911 and a mag of 9 mm for my G17.

Buffalo Bore

45-255/20 - 45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN Pistol and Handgun Ammo

24L/20 - 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN

Not worried.
    Have you tested the Buffalo Bore 9 mm hard cast load in your Glock to see if it is reliable?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Hadn't had the opportunity yet. Will report when I do. Hopefully, won't have to worry about it yet.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by texag View Post

.22 WMR for bear defense? Well, OK, I am ready:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/p...m-pr69143.html

Just picked it up today. Ruger Single Six, .22 WMR. Alaska, here I come!
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List