Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post

RDS/Laser Brian also instructed a half-day pistol RDS/Laser class. Brian made an interesting argument for pistols to be fitted with iron sights and a light/laser combination. He made some good points that I plan to test further on my home range.
    Interesting comment, are you able to share any further comments on this argument? I'm definitely interested as I still haven't made the RDS plunge and for some reason keep finding myself hesitating for the last 10 years. Maybe I'm onto something I can't explain, lol.

Site Supporter

Rough Summary of Brian's Theory

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    Interesting comment, are you able to share any further comments on this argument? I'm definitely interested as I still haven't made the RDS plunge and for some reason keep finding myself hesitating for the last 10 years. Maybe I'm onto something I can't explain, lol.
    Here's my rough rendition of Brian's presentation:

Target focus is good in a gun fight. Both the RDS and visible laser allow target focus. However, the RDS requires the gun to be at eye level. The laser allows the gun to be in other, non-conventional, positions. The laser also is effective to gain compliance of suspects being held at gun point. The laser does have some distance limits dependent on lighting, vegetation, etc. When the laser is not visible, the operator can then resort to iron sights. All fighting pistols should be equipped with a light. The Olight combination laser/light works well and fits most duty holsters. ELN

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Here's my rough rendition of Brian's presentation:

Target focus is good in a gun fight. Both the RDS and visible laser allow target focus. However, the RDS requires the gun to be at eye level. The laser allows the gun to be in other, non-conventional, positions. The laser also is effective to gain compliance of suspects being held at gun point. The laser does have some distance limits dependent on lighting, vegetation, etc. When the laser is not visible, the operator can then resort to iron sights. All fighting pistols should be equipped with a light. The Olight combination laser/light works well and fits most duty holsters. ELN
    Eh... I almost wish you hadn't posted this ^ as I was interested in the AUG class but some this ^ makes me question the non pistol material.

The unconventional position thing and the "compliance" thing are niche uses at best.

We've experimented with light laser combos, and for even a institutionally trained shooter sights (iron or RDS) are faster than lasers and the pistol mounted light laser combos had issues maintaining zero. There was some advantage to laser over irons in low light but it shakes out as RDS> laser>irons.

IME lasers on handguns are great for guns that don't have "real" sight like J frames, have some application under NVG (though passive aiming with RDS works just as well), and are viable for people with no training and no real interest in getting trained i.e. the people for whom a gun is like a fire extinguisher in their car or kitchen.

I'm not a Surefire or nothing guy but Oilight has a history of lights overheating and catching fire etc. so I'm leery of them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Eh... I almost wish you hadn't posted this ^ as I was interested in the AUG class but some this ^ makes me question the non pistol material.

The unconventional position thing and the "compliance" thing are niche uses at best.

We've experimented with light laser combos, and for even a institutionally trained shooter sights (iron or RDS) are faster than lasers and the pistol mounted light laser combos had issues maintaining zero. There was some advantage to laser over irons in low light but it shakes out as RDS> laser>irons.

IME lasers on handguns are great for guns that don't have "real" sight like J frames, have some application under NVG (though passive aiming with RDS works just as well), and are viable for people with no training and no real interest in getting trained i.e. the people for whom a gun is like a fire extinguisher in their car or kitchen.

I'm not a Surefire or nothing guy but Oilight has a history of lights overheating and catching fire etc. so I'm leery of them.
    I have such limited experience with visible lasers that I am completely unqualified to speak to their use. I have an Olight Baldr on an AR but, it's had only limited use under optimal conditions. I could "see" (pun intended) Brian's point but I'm not yet ready to give up my RDS for a laser. It was interesting to learn that his department (Marietta, GA) was one of the very first to mandate lights on pistols. Thanks for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Shame you posted pics of it in the sweaty arm pit of internet arms discussion, instead of posting pics of it here!
    I really thought I had, I’ve been busy.

Name:  IMG_9292.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  62.2 KB
    #RESIST

Ok, the 42rd 5.56 mags do not work. However, so far everything else has with .300blk. And I upgraded to the can to something weighs almost 50% less, is much shorter, and much more quiet. To say I’m pleased with my LPM Mach K Titanium is putting it mildly.
    #RESIST

Looking at these has me wondering....

How does the safety work?
    How does that 15" length of pull work in real life? (I'd say that seems very long to me having shorter arms, gives me concerns)

Looking at these has me wondering....

How does that 15" length of pull work in real life? (I'd say that seems very long to me having shorter arms, gives me concerns)
    Safety is a crossbolt.

I have short arms, but I do ok with the AUG. It just is.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    If you have delicate keyboard-worker hands like I do, it pays to take a file to the corners.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious E.O.C. View Post
    If you have delicate keyboard-worker hands like I do, it pays to take a file to the corners.
    This is one of the most useful mods you can do to the AUG.

User Tag List