Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384

Thread: Aimpoint ACRO P-2

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was shooting a match with a friend on Sunday, that tried hard to compete with his CBP issued Acro and Glock. Despite being an extremely talented shooter, he really disliked the Acro for competition. The thought was Aimpoint should have included a caution in the manual that says the Acro was not designed to be used with a timer.
    The combination of thick walls and small window is going to annoy people who spend a lot of time behind SROs and even RMRs. It is really hard to be target focused when there is a thick framed, narrow aperture overlaying the area around the target…that is 2.5 feet from your eye.

I liken the ACRO’s sight picture to the mafia of the red dot world - you can try to look out but it pulls you back in…

Name:  IMG_1120.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  34.4 KB
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

That is what put me on the journey with dots...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I agree I can't stand the small window, BUT my buddy shot 120+ on a Rogers test with one, so good shooting can be done.
    I got serious about starting to learn a dot on a handgun just over 5 years ago. I had a P1 on a carry 19, and the late Ronnie Dodd(RIP, sir) offered me a day on his Rogers setup. I had been to Rogers, managed (barely) an Advanced rating with irons, and wanted to see how a dot would fare.
    Long story short, got hooked(dotted?). I still qual with irons also, but it was so much easier with the dot.
    I can see the improvement of a big window for wooden open competition. My EPS is less "cluttered" visually for example

I'm still new to dots other than using them on other people's guns. I find the acro to be the easiest dot I've used besides a T-1 to pick up. My guess is it's easier to pick up a tube than a dot just floating there on a screen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I'm still new to dots other than using them on other people's guns. I find the acro to be the easiest dot I've used besides a T-1 to pick up. My guess is it's easier to pick up a tube than a dot just floating there on a screen.
    Yes, but no.

Your perception is accurate in that for an iron site shooter transitioning to red dots who is still developing their index and target focus, what I describe as the “scope shadow” effect helps with finding the dot.

However, once one develops their index and their hard target focus such that they are focusing hard on a specific spot on the target on the dot “appears” via index / proprioception, the tendency of the thicker tube /body to draw focus from the target to the dot/optic is noticeable vs “floater” optics with bigger windows and/or thinner optic bodies. It’s not insurmountable, but there is a noticeable difference.

And there is this:

Name:  442408964_459046343320961_5419122042305731216_n.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  32.8 KB

The OP referenced Kyle Lamb and said it was important to be able to QD your optic if something like this happens. FML. No.

If you carry in an open holster (like uniformed carry), an enclosed emitter design has significant benefits.

Regardless of your choice, if something like this happens, treat it like a blocked optic. Use the housing shape, the slide plate cover/hammer, or the frame/slide interface for sighting and solve your problem.

A few years back at Gunsite, had a carbine student who insisted this wouldn't happen. It didn't until he went prone at 200. When he was done with the carbine on that drill & stood up, I had him (try to) take a sight picture. He understood my point. Doesn't happen every time.

User Tag List