Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Single action revolver discusson and general shenanigans

I decided it was high time to quit looking at spreadsheets and matrices trying to decide between .44 or .45, fixed or adjustable sights, what price range I wanted to stick to and generally overthinking the whole damn thing.

I called the LGS with the .44 birds head Vaquero this morning to see if it was still there. When they said it was, I said I'd swing by after work. For $660+tax it was worth going back to look at. As I was looking at it, on a whim I asked if members still got a discount and if so was it just on new guns. The counter guy said it was just the top tier membership (I'm on the middle tier). Since it was still a good price I wasn't going to complain but then the lead associate or whatever he is said the store had run a 3 day 10% off special but corporate didn't really advertise it so very few customers knew about it. He said they hadn't told him to stop offering it so he gave me the discount. Ended up at $640 OTD for a gently used Ruger 10596 TALO exclusive!

Name:  IMG_2369.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  103.5 KB

Even though it's only going to see Specials and Russians, I'm going to replace the grip frame with a plow handle. I'm also researching how to nitre blue the screws and pins. Another possibility is having the front sight milled off and a Novak dovetail cut. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone had that done then installed a custom blank so they could file it to the needed height for their particular load. Once that was done they could order whatever fancy 1911 sight they wanted at the correct height.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

At one time, Freedom Arms offered a dovetail front in varying heights with a set screw for windage. Don't know if they still do.

Found it -- https://www.freedomarms.com/product/front-sights/

704-49 Replaceable Blued Fixed Front Sight for Fixed Sight Models. (3 heights available) $51.00

Caveat - if interested I would confirm the windage set screw (they don't have a picture).
    Last edited by paul105; 05-15-2024 at 08:16 PM.

Regarding current prices and flat tops... I flat topped a couple regular blackhawks, a 44 mag and 45, I like how they turned out but like the 45 best for its lighter feel and I had a different front sight put on, similar to a Colt Flat Top Target, as well as a list of other changes.

Ive pined away for an early 357 flat top, the 1955 to about 1962 period, I like the feel of them, like the shape of the front sight better than later ones, and just like them in general. The cost seemed a bit high, shooter grade examples in the $600 range, but new ones, gads. The older ones even with finish wear is more desirable to me. I started shooting on the pre-"new model" type Rugers and had several Colt SAAs, handling them is no problem in the software sense.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-15-2024 at 08:28 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Update

Found it -- https://www.freedomarms.com/product/front-sights/

704-49 Replaceable Blued Fixed Front Sight for Fixed Sight Models. (3 heights available) $51.00

Caveat - if interested I would confirm the windage set screw (they don't have a picture).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I decided it was high time to quit looking at spreadsheets and matrices trying to decide between .44 or .45, fixed or adjustable sights, what price range I wanted to stick to and generally overthinking the whole damn thing.

I called the LGS with the .44 birds head Vaquero this morning to see if it was still there. When they said it was, I said I'd swing by after work. For $660+tax it was worth going back to look at. As I was looking at it, on a whim I asked if members still got a discount and if so was it just on new guns. The counter guy said it was just the top tier membership (I'm on the middle tier). Since it was still a good price I wasn't going to complain but then the lead associate or whatever he is said the store had run a 3 day 10% off special but corporate didn't really advertise it so very few customers knew about it. He said they hadn't told him to stop offering it so he gave me the discount. Ended up at $640 OTD for a gently used Ruger 10596 TALO exclusive!

Even though it's only going to see Specials and Russians, I'm going to replace the grip frame with a plow handle. I'm also researching how to nitre blue the screws and pins. Another possibility is having the front sight milled off and a Novak dovetail cut. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone had that done then installed a custom blank so they could file it to the needed height for their particular load. Once that was done they could order whatever fancy 1911 sight they wanted at the correct height.
    When I got my .44, I was just looking to see what they had, and if I actually wanted one of what they had. They had a whole shipment of Ruger Single actions, .357, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45, plus some Italian Colt clones. The Bisley Flattop could have been in any of those calibers, I wouldn’t have cared: it was made right and felt right. It was .44 Special, so I just got some dies and .429-.431 bullets and enjoy the hell out of it.

That is a great looking revolver. I’m sure it will be an awesome gun to have.

Enjoy!

Yesterday, I saw the blued-steel, .45 ACP sibling of your sixgun, at an LGS. I was sorely tempted to pull out the credit card. I was already there to pick up an on-line purchase, a Ruger Single Six, .22 WMR, so, one Form 4473 could have sufficed, for both.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

https://gulfcoastgun.com/product/fla...a-ss-ivy-4-5-8

Is this a newly released Lipseys distributor exclusive? I’ve been wanting a .45 cal stainless flat top Blackhawk in 4&5/8” and this place is semi local, I will be passing by it tomorrow.

I would probably change the grips and source a Bisley hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Enjoy!

Yesterday, I saw the blued-steel, .45 ACP sibling of your sixgun, at an LGS. I was sorely tempted to pull out the credit card. I was already there to pick up an on-line purchase, a Ruger Single Six, .22 WMR, so, one Form 4473 could have sufficed, for both.
    If this had been in The Lord’s Own Caliber it would have left with me Sunday without debate or haggling.🤣. Even if it had been .45 Colt I would have jumped if ACP cylinders were more available. From what I’ve seen ACP cylinders are very thin on the ground. Who am I kidding? I’d have snagged it Sunday even if it was .45 Colt!😄

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    https://gulfcoastgun.com/product/fla...a-ss-ivy-4-5-8

Is this a newly released Lipseys distributor exclusive? I’ve been wanting a .45 cal stainless flat top Blackhawk in 4&5/8” and this place is semi local, I will be passing by it tomorrow.

I would probably change the grips and source a Bisley hammer.
    I can’t see any pictures to try and run the serial through Ruger’s lookup tool but I’m betting that’s from a previous run. @JEC would be the guy to ask for sure though.

Also, be advised a factory Bisley hammer isn’t a drop in when using the XR3 or XR3-RED frame. You have to modify the hammer and I believe you need the Bisley trigger as well. Ronnie Wells offers a new made Bisley hammer for standard frames for around $250 and I believe it uses the standard trigger as well.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If this had been in The Lord’s Own Caliber it would have left with me Sunday without debate or haggling.🤣. Even if it had been .45 Colt I would have jumped if ACP cylinders were more available. From what I’ve seen ACP cylinders are very thin on the ground. Who am I kidding? I’d have snagged it Sunday even if it was .45 Colt!😄
    Well, here ya go:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/p...z4638-new.html

Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I don’t want one THAT bad!🤣

User Tag List