View Poll Results: Which brand for a whole house generator?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kohler

2 15.38%
  • Generac

8 61.54%
  • Mods here are shit

3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whole house generator discussion

I don't see an option for Cummins but they get my vote.

My mother had a Generac installed back in October of 2014 along with their best auto smart switch. When the power drops she has to do literally nothing. It waits a few seconds, fires up and phases in her entire electrical panel's breakers in over 3 groups.

It has been perfect. No issues at all in almost 10 years. When she was undergoing chemo we got hit with a major ice storm. Her power was out for 9 days. It didn't bobble. I came over once a day to check the oil in it and had to do one oil change in that 9 day run. Be aware that they will burn a little bit as is normal when loaded so you can't just forget it while on an extended outage. Running pure synthetic oil will get you a 2yr/200 run hour change interval too.

When I was advising her I compared Generac and Kohler. The gen set units themselves at the time seemed pretty comparable, but the automatic transfer switches weren't. Kohler had a ton of issues reported in several forums at the time and the reviews weren't real great either. In the time that has passed since maybe they've got the kinks worked out. The advice about having service available is pretty sound and would definitely factor into my decision.

User Tag List