Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to mill again, or to get a Glock MOS gun

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Another great data point about the inter-compatibility of shooting "feel" from milled to non-milled. If you run timed Drills, I'm assuming you can't tell a difference between hit factor between milled vs MOS?

You do bring up an interesting point about the optic issue. The 507 comp sitting a hair lower will make a tall optic like that less likely to get nailed by brass, although this only seems theoretical and not a real world problem, especially with Gen5 ejection patterns.

To follow up on my comments in the post above, if my milled Gen 3 and Gen 5 can be used as an interchangeable training/match pair, then my next Glock will 100% be an MOS gun...it may be a G45 instead of G17 at that point however .
    My timer has mostly sat in a drawer the past decade.

Even with tall sights on a Glock the height over your hands has got to be lower than with a lot of pistols. Going from a 1911 to my first Glock in 2010 it seemed like my eyes were higher up than where my hands wanted to be. I like suppressor height sights on Glocks if it has to be irons.

I only meant to praise the 507 comp. I wasn't saying it would get hit by brass. I have a gen 3 that is a laser so I had it milled for an SRO. The lens hangs more forward than on any Holosun and is just about flush with the breach face. I'm not knocking this; I like the setup... but it is worth complementing the 507 comp for not being that way.

If you don't go MOS then you wont learn anything new! Haha let us know how it goes.

The advantage of the MOS gun would be that I could get different plates for different optics to future proof the gun to a certain degree.
    This is why I've stuck with plates so far.

I'd also be able to forgo waiting to get the slide milled/refinished, and the additional cost ($200 for the milling and re-finish with black nitride).
    Yes,but actual cost difference is only about $125, because a CHPWS or FCD plate is about $75.

. . . my milled pistol is milled to a depth of 0.150", and I'm wondering if an MOS gun with a plate would place the optic noticeably higher compared to the milled gun, to the point where it would possibly affect the efficiency of my presentation, and or the way the gun behaves in recoil?

Do any of you have any experience with how the two set ups compare when shot side by side?

Both guns would sport 507 Comp optics.
    My competition gun had a 507COMP on a CHPWS plate, and last week I did some.shooting with a buddy's pistol that has a Deltapoint Pro, also on a CHPWS plate. That's about a .14" difference in height. I noticed it, but it didn't really affect me at all.

Why do you like the FCD > than the C&H? I'm kinda leaning toward the FCD already.
    I went through 2 C&H plates that were machined wrong and had a defect.

I went through a trusted respected vendor that had a good return policy, so they took care of me and could not ask anymore then that from them.

The Fcd plate is steel and fits well, I can loctite and torque it down and it is going to be solid. I am kinda set it and forget it guy.

User Tag List