Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Snake Guns from Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    How about something optics ready? Or a lightweight alloy snub version? Or even incremental improvements like better sights and a slightly wider trigger?
    Why can't Colt do what Taurus has already done? See @JWintergreen above.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I find it sad that in 2024 both Kimber and Taurus appear to understand the defensive revolver market, what to make, how to make it, much better than Colt or S&W, but I believe it is true at this moment in time.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Dang, I wish that Viper had an adjustable rear sight.
    Keeps me from dropping more coin on new guns.

There was a guy at a recent match who had a new 4" Python. His biggest complaint was that, for a gun that cost as much as it did, Colt put on cheap-ass sights. He had a set of Wilsons on order.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I find it sad that in 2024 both Kimber and Taurus appear to understand the defensive revolver market, what to make, how to make it, much better than Colt or S&W, but I believe it is true at this moment in time.
    That's because you are under the impression Colt is making these for the defensive market. They aren't.
    They are making them for the revolver market.
    It's inherently a backwards & unserious market segment.
    I mean, folks further up the thread were complaining about them not increasing 1873 production.
    It's a 150 year old gun, with over 50 years of reproductions littering the market, that was obsolete the day it was adopted in 1873.
    These new DA Colts are THE EXACT SAME THING, reproductions of iconic items that only exist to look nice in someone's safe for a generation that grew up with Pythons and the like on TV, movies and in games but have been priced out of the 'real deal' by absurd collectors pricing.
    Practical 'defensive revolvers' are such a small niche it takes specific people interested in the idea in key positions to force the idea through. Caleb at Taurus & the UC revolver prove it, and I would bet those specific style of guns sell less than 1 out 10 compared to long barreled Taurus Raging Judges in .454 Casull.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    That's because you are under the impression Colt is making these for the defensive market. They aren't.
    They are making them for the revolver market.
    I mean, folks further up the thread were complaining about them not increasing 1873 production.
    It's a 150 year old gun, with over 50 years of reproductions littering the market, that was obsolete the day it was adopted in 1873.
    These new DA Colts are THE EXACT SAME THING, reproductions of iconic items that only exist to look nice in someone's safe for a generation that grew up with Pythons and the like on TV, movies and in games but have been priced out of the 'real deal' by absurd collectors pricing.
    Practical 'defensive revolvers' are such a small niche it takes specific people interested in the idea in key positions to force the idea through. Caleb at Taurus & the UC revolver prove it, and I would bet those specific style of guns sell less than 1 out 10 compared to long barreled Taurus Raging Judges in .454 Casull.
    Great points MW. It appears that small pocket size revolvers sell well (or at least sell in some rate worth making them) for defensive use - j frames, LCRs, Taurus 856, K6S, etc. Beyond that, the market for a defense oriented larger revolver seems small, and therefore, not well served.

When I first clicked the links on my cell no specs came up not even caliber on the Viper.

I do like the way the Viper 3" looks just 1.1 ounce lighter than King Cobra by having a half lug. I'd prefer the Viper be Nickel and the King Cobra stainless maybe.

I've got trigger time on old Colts. Question is what are the perpencity to short stroke (for people that carry slab sides more often) when in an omg up close dgu? Same concerns I guess for Kimber or LCRs vs Taurus Rossi Smith & Ruger SP/GP that don't have that?
    Can anyone speak to this please? A wheel gun is occasional low threat primary carry to me (Viper 3" is perfect specs for this it looks like) , or real pocket BUG to waist gun. Autos more typical.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 05-19-2024 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Being terrible at "business" is the founding principle of Colt.
    Wait, didn't Samuel Colt die as one of the richest men in the country? IIRC Colt's perpetual struggle to find a way to declare bankruptcy came after he was dead.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I actually had one of those. Traded into it from a 25-5. Sold it on gunbroker when I realized that rarity was all it had going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Congrats, you just described the entire domestic gun market.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Wait, didn't Samuel Colt die as one of the richest men in the country? IIRC Colt's perpetual struggle to find a way to declare bankruptcy came after he was dead..
    Sam Colt was bankrupt when the Texas Rangers commandeered some Patterson’s the Teas Navy had lying around. When the Rangers reached out to Sam Colt to buy some more, Colt was out of business so he contracted with another company to build the second batch. He then went on to die rich but bankruptcy was there from the beginning. Certainly his successors took the company to new heights of poor management.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Wait, didn't Samuel Colt die as one of the richest men in the country? IIRC Colt's perpetual struggle to find a way to declare bankruptcy came after he was dead.
    Well, yes, but Colt did tank in it's first incarnation at Paterson and ended up liquidated in 1840 something. Then the Texas Rangers found a hankering for an improved Colt Paterson revolver and Colt zombied back to life...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Well, yes, but Colt did tank in it's first incarnation at Paterson and ended up liquidated in 1840 something. Then the Texas Rangers found a hankering for an improved Colt Paterson revolver and Colt zombied back to life...
    Right, I remember the Eli Whitney Walkers. But afterwards the Colt company was basically gangbusters until after his death. At least as I understand it.

User Tag List