Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the bottom line on 1911 reliability?

Never mind.

I remember, I learned my lesson before.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    I fired a Colt Officer's model which jammed about 15% of the time. I fired a Taurus PT1911 which was similar. And as of today's range trip, I've fired a brand new Sig Scorpion 1911.
    I think I see your problem.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I think I see your problem.
    :handclap:
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

When I asked my buddy Jason Burton (one of the best 1911 smiths on the planet) what he would recommend, he said "If you want it to be reliable, it has to be a 5" gun". He didn't say a Commander Length gun couldn't be reliable, but he said 5" all the way. So, for me, that's a good starting point. Then you go with a maker known for reliability...like Springfield...as a base line. Then you listen to the advice given by many 1911 experts...it's not a gun for those that can't tweak and maintain it on their own (that doesn't mean you have a dremel in the garage).

The OP doesn't mention what he wants the 1911 for. If a fun gun for the range, that's one thing. As a primary reliable concealed carry gun - - - well, I have 1911s that I bought for less than $1k . . . many years ago. And over the years I've done what I needed to make them even more reliable. The same quality of pistols would easily be in the $1500-2000 range today. (Inflation has risen their apparent prices over the passing years.)

You can have fun and enjoy a 1911. IMO - there's nothing wrong with that. But it takes an investment in money, time, and dedication to get a reliable CCW 1911 and learn how to run it. I'll keep the few I still have, but aren't in the market for another one now.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 01-21-2014 at 04:10 PM.

I've owned 11 but only own one now, which is a custom gun built by Dave Sams. It's pretty awesome. But the first 10 were made up of a GI Ithaca 1911A1, a Gold Cup, some Colt GMs, Colt Commander and a couple Combat Commanders, and two Springfield Armorys; one a Loaded and one a TRP. Of that line up, only the Gold Cup was a little finicky. The rest all ran great for me.

If I were going out to buy my first today; all things considered it would probably be a new production Colt Series 70 Government Model.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Luck of the draw.

I purchased 20 1911s over the last 10 years. I have kept four of them, but only trust one to watch over my daughter.
    This guy shoots a lot. Food for thought.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Luck of the draw.

I purchased 20 1911s over the last 10 years. I have kept four of them, but only trust one to watch over my daughter.
    I seem to recall you shooting a Springfield Professional at a KSTG match?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Echoing others, if you choose to go the 1911 route, for your first one, I absolutely think that you should ONLY consider a 5" .45 ACP one. At under $1,000, the only one that I feel comfortable in recommending personally would be a Colt, either a 1991, Series 70, or XSE/XSE Variant (such as the Combat Elite). Hilton Yam is also complimentary of Springfield's Loaded MC.

Hopefully, limited to those recommendations, you'll be pretty much "good to go" out of the box, at least functionally. You may find yourself subsequently wanting to dehorn, have an action job performed, replace some of the fire control components and/or sights, magazines....

It's a 1911...

For the amount of money that you'll be spending on what might or might not be a "work in progress" with a 1911, you might also want to consider something like a HK45/HK45C (in .45 ACP) or a P30/P30L in a variant with a mechanical safety, allowing you the cocked-and-locked alternative, if you really, really are fixated on a single-action pistol...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Echoing others, if you choose to go the 1911 route, for your first one, I absolutely think that you should ONLY consider a 5" .45 ACP one. At under $1,000, the only one that I feel comfortable in recommending personally would be a Colt, either a 1991, Series 70, or XSE/XSE Variant (such as the Combat Elite). Hilton Yam is also complimentary of Springfield's Loaded MC.

Hopefully, limited to those recommendations, you'll be pretty much "good to go" out of the box, at least functionally. You may find yourself subsequently wanting to dehorn, have an action job performed, replace some of the fire control components and/or sights, magazines....

It's a 1911...

For the amount of money that you'll be spending on what might or might not be a "work in progress" with a 1911, you might also want to consider something like a HK45/HK45C (in .45 ACP) or a P30/P30L in a variant with a mechanical safety, allowing you the cocked-and-locked alternative, if you really, really are fixated on a single-action pistol...

Best, Jon
    Then he would have a single action pistol with a bad trigger and a high bore axis magnifying recoil. Another option is to buy a STI Trojan from a reputable smith like Dawson Precision and pay for the reliability tune if your really worried. Seen a lot of new IDPA shooters even go with the Spartan with no reliability tune and have good reliability.

User Tag List