Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: On Shoulder Holsters.

I'm a huge believer in a shoulder/tanker holster in one situation personally-nightstand use. In my case, I have a Eagle Industries Tanker (which I think they call their Universal Spec Ops or some other similar nonsense), but it's a very well-made and adjustable {fot for gun and fit} holster. Think about it-at night, if I have to roll out of bed, gun in hand, sooner or later I'm likely to need a secure place to stow it, and one's jammies simply aren't likely (or advisable) to stand the Mexican carry or paddle secure stowage gaff...A shoulder/tanker is easily and quickly donned donned and pretty simple to secure.

They're also handy for ATV or horseback riding, if venue appropriate.

http://www.cuttingedgetactical.com/P...es/p_SOH-U.jpg

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-17-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Years ago, I used to have an Eagle shoulder rig hanging over the bedpost for middle of the night roll out of bed and grab rig. Now I just keep a war belt under the bed, but the shoulder rig was very viable.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I take it the war belt is next to the helmet?

Yes, but I ve moved from the chrome Spartan Helmet to the Pathfinder Viking style....we evolve.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm a huge believer in a shoulder/tanker holster in one situation personally-nightstand use....A shoulder/tanker is easily and quickly donned donned and pretty simple to secure.

They're also handy for ATV or horseback riding, if venue appropriate.

Best, Jon
    I do this. Have an El Paso tanker type for a 4" N frame. Its handy both in camp and around home for a simple easy way to grab a gun for a step out into the dark moment (those of us that don't have indoor facilities have those fairly often). Sometimes have a speed loader in a case on the rear strap. The older Lawrence shoulder rigs I have serve the same purpose, though they also work OK for cutting firewood and other work chores where one may wish to be armed with a larger pistol and a belt holster isn't as handy.

A lanyard on a self loader serves the basic purpose of being able to secure a gun with no wardrobe assistance also.

I carried several guns over the years in a tanker holster, in some hard use/weather/terrain. Those holsters are a really good idea for a field holster.

I used to have a Miami Vice rig for my 5906, and had one of the older Jackass rigs for my Speed Six, they work fairly well, but if you have to fight, run, grapple, etc., not so much, and weapon retention is iffy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Yes, but I ve moved from the chrome Spartan Helmet to the Pathfinder Viking style....we evolve.
    Misanthropist's BM thread on TPI got me looking at vids of the thing. Saw a couple guys rocking Viking helmets, and more than a few kilts. Made me think of you. Somebody on TPI commented about someone that liked BM because they could wear kilts, burn stuff, and be a gray man there.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    What say the professionals about quality shoulder holsters? Derp or a carry method of substance? Let us exclude the nylon toy holsters seen on store shelves and consider only quality kit like Lou Alessi, the Galco/Jackass models, etc.
    Depends on the "professional" and the need. I've known a number of pretty quality folks who wear and use shoulder rigs and like them. I've known others who seem to think that nobody that is serious would ever wear one. Personally I find it a preferred carry method at times and not substantially different than many other forms of carry. I'm fond of the vertical versions over the horizontal designs, and am on my second Bianchi X15 after pretty much wearing out the first one.
    Last edited by David Armstrong; 11-18-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List