Thread: Retro guns at the carbine match

Site Supporter

Retro guns at the carbine match

Of course, most shot 223 - ARs, a Tavor, SCAR. One AR pattern 9mm with Glock mags.

However, there were two old Garands and an Spring M1A. I was impressed by:

1. They are noisy!
    2. When the rounds hit the dirt berm, they blew up big old clods all over, got showered with little rocks for the closer targets.
    3. They certainly pushed back the shooters for slower firing rates as compared to the tick, tick of the 223s.

Amazing how folks carried those big old things in jungles, the cold of Europe, Korea, etc.

Maybe I''ll shoot my 10/22 in the 22 division. I put a dot on it and a sling. Ping, Ping!

Just an observation as I tune out and head home.

I shot my FAL in the last 3 gun match.
    It slaps the crap out of the steel, nobody has any trouble seeing and calling the hits even at 200+ yards.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

FAL, my favorite old school rifle, shot them since the 1980s.

I’m going to try heavy metal 2 gun with my AR-10 sometime this year.

Site Supporter
    Shot a couple matches with my HK91 . . . talk about rockin' and rollin'. Thing thumped pretty good compared to my braked 16" 5.56. Seemed like a waste to only be shooting it out to 25-40 yards though.

I still want to go "retro" and shoot a 3-gun match with a Garand, Winchester M12, and GI 1911 someday.

I shot my M1A at one of Mike's matches back in the Hill Country Rifle range days. Even with a red dot mounted on a scope mount it was slow and loud. Now I would rather shoot the SUB2000 folder than old wood and steel.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

There was a steel shoot for bolt action near here a few years ago. Quite a few used milsurp rifles and one of the guys with an old Mauser did really well. Guy that won it used a Ruger 77, and might have given even an AR a run for the money.

And yes, it was a loud shooting match.

Jeff

Shot a Garand in a 3 gun match once. Fun as hell but the reload times really hurt me (no way I'd have actually won). They had clay targets for the rifles on posts of rebar, and it's a hell of a spectacle when you accidentally throw a shot low and blow the rebar apart and into the air

I love big bore rifles in muddy terrain too, you get plenty of mud fountains when the bullet impacts the ground
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Does anyone ever shoot a real carbine--the M1 carbine that is--at these matches?

I shot NRA High Power matches back when the M1 was what most people were shooting.
    There's something entertaining/exhilerating about standing in back of the line and hearing eight of them
    go off at once.

Later the M1A took over and the ARs were coming on when I had to quit shooting the matches.
    Loudest rifle I ever shot next to was a long-barreled bolt gun in .243. Not only loud but a sharp tone that made
    one doubt his ear protectors.
    I shot a Carbine in a couple of matches. It was audibly slower in getting to the targets out at 200 yards.
    Made .30 holes in them though.

My son shot my M1A in a three-gun match some years ago. He was going to shoot Heavy Metal Class or nuthin'.
    Did well with it. Not as well with the Colt Commander 1991A1 or the shotgun.

I shot a relatively old-school AR with irons. Couldn't see too well after I got tired. So, if I shoot another it will be
    with a flat top AR with optics.

User Tag List