Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best pepper spray for bicycling?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    All fine and dandy.

But can anyone recommend a pepper spray for bicyclists?
    LOL

I've had two cases of collateral damage when I tried to spray a dog.

One I somehow ended up with a can of Fox Labs fog instead of stream and created this beautiful heavy cloud of red mist on the edge of the road that my buddy rode through (sun angle made him oblivious to it) as he was a ways behind with some other riders. Good thing we were only 15 miles from home!

The other one was legit stream but kind of a sloppy stream and some of the overspray got a friend maybe 10 feet behind me as it lingered in the air.

Both are pretty hard dudes (one's leading a Ranger company in AFG right now or heading there shortly) and still good friends in spite of my best attempts!

All fine and dandy.

It would be the exact same spray one would recommend for anyone else.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I think the strongest bear spray available, with a nice, wide cloud, would be best for Critical Massholes.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Crossfire yes, gel no.
    My rationale for recommending the gel,is due to its tendency to be less affected by wind. If he has to fire it while riding, wind is definitely going to come into play. If he comes to a stop, then he's got time to aim. Sabre's gel tends to be a bit more "liquidy" than most, anyway.
    Last edited by jondoe297; 05-12-2016 at 05:18 PM.

I'm going to order both the gel and regular stream (Sabre Red Crossfire). It sounds like one of those will be the winner so I'll hand some out to my regular long distance riders and we'll see which gets the nod.

I have a few riders who knock out 200 - 300 miles per week so no matter what they'll have plenty of chances to use it up.

The (claimed) added reach and wind resistance of the gel may make it the choice. We don't slow down for dogs and at 20+ mph a lot of wind is generated that can disperse the stream. I'll post an update in a couple weeks after we get some CIS (Cyclist Involved Spraying) reports.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    The (claimed) added reach and wind resistance of the gel may make it the choice.
    I happen to have a can of the gel here, just waiting for the next opportunity.

I just had a run-in with a big doberman, his head was cheek high. Luckily we ran in to him on the flat, not the preceding 8% climb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List