Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weight Training Questions, your insight, experiences appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Right now I’m not doing any assistance work at all. I wanted to give it a month of that, and see how I felt with the grappling. Like I said so far I’m really pleased. If I change anything up it may add in first set last as the assistance work, but then I will probably switch to 3 days per week to keep the work out within my lunch break. That’s the other thing I like. With the 2 day split and no assistance work I can get it done in 40 minutes easy assuming I don’t have to wait for a rack. And after competition class this morning I sure don’t feel like I’m short changing myself.
    I think First Set Last, Second Set Last, and Boring But Big are probably the most useful templates overall. I think the submaximal training and the AMRAP/PR sets are probably the most useful principles. Outside of pro athletes or enhanced people, that's probably enough to get all your needs met.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Great stuff guys thanks!

Site Supporter
    Right now I’m not doing any assistance work at all. I wanted to give it a month of that, and see how I felt with the grappling. Like I said so far I’m really pleased. If I change anything up it may add in first set last as the assistance work, but then I will probably switch to 3 days per week to keep the work out within my lunch break. That’s the other thing I like. With the 2 day split and no assistance work I can get it done in 40 minutes easy assuming I don’t have to wait for a rack. And after competition class this morning I sure don’t feel like I’m short changing myself.
    I'll have to check out the 5/3/1 program. I've been using the Stronger by Science strength template after burning myself out on 5x5.

Linear progression damn near ruined my life and ended my BJJ hobby lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'll have to check out the 5/3/1 program. I've been using the Stronger by Science strength template after burning myself out on 5x5.

Linear progression is great if strength is the only thing you care about. If you want to do any other sport or physical activity, well…things are going to get rough.

5/3/1 is adaptable almost to a fault. I had to take a couple days to read the book and figure out what would be the best place for me to start.

One thing I forgot to mention is that while I’m not doing any assistance work in the weight room, I push the AMRAP on the last set pretty hard. Yesterday my last set of bench was 5+ and I did 14. I wouldn’t do that if I had 5x5 of the first working set to still look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

Stronger by Science (SBS) is arguably better than 5/3/1. I presume that’s the bundle of 7 templates that was previously called Average to Savage 2.0.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/program-bundle/

It’s cheap. $10 suggested donation. Highly praised. No need to switch to 5/3/1.

The free 28 SBS programs are not quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    Stronger by Science (SBS) is arguably better than 5/3/1. I presume that’s the bundle of 7 templates that was previously called Average to Savage 2.0.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/program-bundle/

It’s cheap. $10 suggested donation. Highly praised. No need to switch to 5/3/1.

The free 28 SBS programs are not quite the same.
    I've not done any of their programs myself, but many very strong intermediate and beginner lifters seem to have great progress on it. It really is based off of the most up to date research, as well as the experience of Greg Nuckols, a world class powerlifter and super knowledgeable exercise science guy. Their guides to the 3 big powerlifts are well worth a read and free.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I've not done any of their programs myself, but many very strong intermediate and beginner lifters seem to have great progress on it. It really is based off of the most up to date research, as well as the experience of Greg Nuckols, a world class powerlifter and super knowledgeable exercise science guy. Their guides to the 3 big powerlifts are well worth a read and free.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/
    Also, a great, funny podcast if you're into exercise science: https://www.sbspod.com

If you need basic supplements (creatine, protein, magnesium, fish oil, etc), you can use their coupons code "SBSPOD" at bulksupplements.com

I know at this point I sound like a shill. I have no affiliation with Nuckols or SBS, personal or professional. I do admire and respect him and his crew, and have gotten a ton of value out of his almost entirely free content.

Hammertime
    Linear progression is great if strength is the only thing you care about. If you want to do any other sport or physical activity, well…things are going to get rough.
    So true. I got strong but lost all desire to do any other activity. Much happier with submaximal maintenance training.

Still: I think everyone should give that sort of training a go for at least a year (or three!) or so to see how strong they are capable of becoming.

As life changes, so do my lifting routines and habits. 33, fulltime job, and 5 kids means that if I don't carve out an hour, I won't work out.

I aim for 4-5 days a week of some type of weight training.

Monday- bench focus with push accessory. Bench work is the tried and true 5x5. I do accessory work because it helps my joints feel better and my wife is more attracted to me.
    Tuesday- lower with a leg press focus. Abs in included. 5x5 for leg press
    Wednesay- active rest (some type of cardio)
    Thursday- row focus with pull accessories
    Friday- squat with leg accessories/abs

It's nothing crazy and the lifts don't fluctuate that much unless I get bored and need something new. I find I still progress in weights with this set up, I can add days in as I chose/if I can. Weightlifting, in my experience, is a life long journey that changes as you change. I started lifting in my moms basement at the age of 14 with whatever I could make work. Now I have a full garage gym I've spent thousands on. Have fun with it and make it a daily/weekly thing.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 05-13-2024 at 02:32 PM.

User Tag List