Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    To reach the "<2 seconds a day" is where you end up paying the most dollars. This is Rolex and up territory for the most part (unless you go Spring drive and Grand Seiko; a few other small Japanese makers use it but that costs even more).

As to the "falling off the cliff" part, most watches (mechanical or quartz) won't handle it (though the edge goes to the higher end quartz, but that costs too), though it depends on how hard you land and from which height.

One thing I didn't see in your requirements is anti magnetism. Is this not a problem for you or one you didn't think about?
    Is "anti magnetic" a thing for quartz watches too, or just automatic?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is "anti magnetic" a thing for quartz watches too, or just automatic?
    It applies to both but from what I've been able to gather (and I'm far from an expert) mechanical watches are more vulnerable to being magnetized but I'm not sure why.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Watches are like guns. Only accurate and reliable ones are interesting.

Accuracy for me is +/- 10 seconds a day, with a strong preference of <2 seconds/day.
    To add to my previous answer, you will want COSC certification at a minimum in order to gain the wanted accuracy though some high end makers, like Zenith, don't try to get it and still produce very accurate watches, but they charge accordingly.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    It applies to both but from what I've been able to gather (and I'm far from an expert) mechanical watches are more vulnerable to being magnetized but I'm not sure why.
    That one is pretty easy to answer. Small magnetic charges on parts with tiny tolerances = big braking effect.

Quartz escapes it, because fewer parts and slightly wider tolerances.

To answer your question - anti-magnetic rating is not super important to what I do. Because we don't do a lot of work with strong magnetic fields. I can't wear a watch in certain lab settings with high energy/magnetic environments anyway, due to their sterile nature. However, I have found mechanical watches getting magnetized is the largest contributor to losing a lot of time. We have a lot of magnetic fields around us, everyone with a mechanical watch should have a watch demagnetizer on hand (I already do).

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    When selecting mechanical watches, the accuracy rating must really be considered. Watches in that price range with that accuracy rating are not uncommon. That is the highest accuracy rating I have seen on any watch costing less than 4 figures. With careful shopping, one can find better.

This watch comes with a top grade (similar to COSC but not independently tested) Swiss movement for US$1,168.31. When an ETA or Sellita movement is specified without the grade, you can usually assume it is the lowest grade, and I have seen watches costing twice as much with an unspecified grade movement.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...automatic-mk-2
    Just so I'm understanding correctly a

That watch you linked has a "Sellita top grade SW200-1 Swiss automatic movement"

This watch has a, "Sellita SW200-1 automatic mechanical movement, 26 jewels" - https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...h-1970s-remake

The second watch is "ungraded" and should probably be considered to be the lowest grade SW200-1 movement?

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In general, Omega is said to have great resistance to magnetism across most of their line. I don't use a NeoMag carrier because my watch would be near it all the time

This watch has a, "Sellita SW200-1 automatic mechanical movement, 26 jewels" - https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...h-1970s-remake

The second watch is "ungraded" and should probably be considered to be the lowest grade SW200-1 movement?
    I don't know about CWC specifically, but I will note that there are other brands that do not state what grade movement they use on the spec sheet, but still use special (elabore) and/or premium (top) movements. For example, while Sinn does not state what grade they use on their website, if asked directly, they answer that they use premium/top grade movements.

Todd introduced me to Sinn, so I have a soft spot for the brand. I bought my U50 at their factory during my last visit to Frankfurt. It was a fun experience. I wouldn't consider Sinn for my "only one watch" thought, but they have a lot of neat features and innovations. I recommend stopping by if you're ever near the Frankfurt airport with time to kill.

Name:  IMG_1921.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  83.7 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Just so I'm understanding correctly a

That watch you linked has a "Sellita top grade SW200-1 Swiss automatic movement"

Correct. Given the price of tbe watch you linked, I would consider that movement to be a solid choice even in standard grade. Finding any Swiss movement in a watch that price is uncommon unless it is a Swiss watch company or company owned by Swatch Group. The same movement in the same grade would be disappointing to me in a $2,000+ watch.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 04-30-2024 at 09:09 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List