Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 22lr

I would strongly suggest the Beretta M9-22. Though it's actually made by Umarex rather than Beretta, with the 92 design, it's been utterly reliable. The only time I've had stoppages has been primer related where second or third strikes have made it go bang. That's another thing I like about it compared to others like the G44 or P322. If you have a primer that doesn't go the first time, most often you just need to pull the trigger again rather than racking in another round. The one weak point on the M9-22 is the durability of the decocker. It can get a little jinky and loose after heavy use (decocking, not shooting). I would advise decocking manually by thumbing down the hammer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm another Ruger MK** fan. I've had a MKII target for 30 years or more. My only suggestion would be to buy something that's dot ready. It adds about 2x to the fun factor. A dot will make them a fun 50 yd shooter.

Be aware that some will not like certain types of ammo. My MKII wouldn't run on most of it. I found CCI std. velocity was the key.

Good luck.
    A dot and a can makes my 22/45 Lite my funnest gun for informal plinking.

Mine seems to run just about everything, which is good because I'm cheap when it comes to 22lr ammo.

Chris

No love for the KelTec CP33? I have found the mags to be a little finicky to load without a speedloader, and there are some feeding problems if you let the mags get dirty (they are quite easy to disassemble), but 33 (or even 50) rounds on tap is very fun, while it has a nice trigger, comes with a 1200 rail, and a threaded barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta Dawg View Post
    I would strongly suggest the Beretta M9-22. Though it's actually made by Umarex rather than Beretta, with the 92 design, it's been utterly reliable. The only time I've had stoppages has been primer related where second or third strikes have made it go bang. That's another thing I like about it compared to others like the G44 or P322. If you have a primer that doesn't go the first time, most often you just need to pull the trigger again rather than racking in another round. The one weak point on the M9-22 is the durability of the decocker. It can get a little jinky and loose after heavy use (decocking, not shooting). I would advise decocking manually by thumbing down the hammer.
    The Beretta 92/M9 conversion slide from Beretta is likewise, awesome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    The Beretta 92/M9 conversion slide from Beretta is likewise, awesome.
    I’ll second this. (Or “Third” it, as I believe @Suvorov said it, too).

My favorite .22 ever is the 617. It has a high cost of entry though. I've used conversions on cz p series and beretta's that were good. My next .22 will be a tx22 or ruger mk variant.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Anything on the Walther P22?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’ll second this. (Or “Third” it, as I believe @Suvorov said it, too).
    So awesome in fact I find myself searching Gun Broker for a gently used frame so I can make this conversion into its own gun.

The reliability of this unit is actually to its detriment as it happily ate ammunition so old and questionable that I ended up getting a squib and bulging the barrel. The only malfunctions I’ve had to date with this unit (well over 3000 rounds fired) have been ammunition related (AKA Remington Golden Bullets).

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Anything on the Walther P22?
    Had one. It, like the Sig Mosquito, was one of the early “service pistol inspired” DA .22LRs. Like the Mosquito it suffered from unreliability and less than stellar accuracy (although that could also be attributed in part to its short slide). Also while it looked like a service pistol, both the Walther and the Mosquito were miniaturized so while the had the look, the didn’t have the feel. It also lacked a decocker which is kind of a pet peeve for me and DA autos (sorry CZ75).

I think there are much better options in the .22 service pistol clone world today than either the P22 or Mosquito (now called the Firefly).
    Last edited by Suvorov; 05-06-2024 at 11:28 AM.
    Optimists study English; pessimists study Chinese; and realists learn to use a Kalashnikov.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    You certainly can't go wrong with the Ruger Mk-series and Browning Buckmarks, I've owned quite a few of them over the years. However, my favorite full-size .22 auto these days is the S&W Victory.
    The best part of Victory for me was its ability to feed and eject gun show special ammunition. Although TBH once I burned through my 30 year old stash, it's mostly CCI Standard Velocity these days, so maybe I just fanboying and misremembering. It does not have a dual firing pin, but any modern stuff is reasonably reliable for that.

I printed a basic loader for it. Just jamming rounds from the top like a centerfire does not work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    So awesome in fact I find myself searching Gun Broker for a gently used frame so I can make this conversion into its own gun.

The reliability of this unit is actually to its detriment as it happily ate ammunition so old and questionable that I ended up getting a squib and bulging the barrel. The only malfunctions I’ve had to date with this unit (well over 3000 rounds fired) have been ammunition related (AKA Remington Golden Bullets).

Had one. It, like the Sig Mosquito, was one of the early “service pistol inspired” DA .22LRs. Like the Mosquito it suffered from unreliability and less than stellar accuracy (although that could also be attributed in part to its short slide). Also while it looked like a service pistol, both the Walther and the Mosquito were miniaturized so while the had the look, the didn’t have the feel. It also lacked a decocker which is kind of a pet peeve for me and DA autos (sorry CZ75).

I think there are much better options in the .22 service pistol clone world today than either the P22 or Mosquito (now called the Firefly).
    That is a great idea for an M-9 .22 slide!

Mine is accurate and reliable, I can't remember any malfunctions except a couple failures to fire with cheap ammo. It eats anything, is easy to clean, mags are easy to load and available....

User Tag List