Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 22lr

In kind of the same boat as OP except my max is just too damn practical and carryable for me to ever get rid of……..I’ve got several thousand rounds of 22lr and nothing to shoot it with…..probably end up with a 10/22 soon just cause it’s a gun everyone should have and I’m not sure why I’ve gone this long without one…..I like the beretta tomcats but everyone seems to say they only run with CCI ammo………and my stash is all Federal champion and Aguila

I like the Ruger. I have an old Mark II with a 5 1/2" bull barrel that I purchased new back in 1989 and although the newer Mark IV's have a lot of nice features, I have never found a reason to replace mine. This pistol has performed trouble free with several different kinds of ammo, and is fully capable of shooting 1" to 1 1/2" five shot groups off a bench at 25 yards with iron sights and ammo from two or three manufacturers.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    If a smaller "Kit Gun" sized pistol is something you'd be interested in, give the Ruger SR22 a look. A friend of mine has one and as long as you feed it ammo it likes, it's accurate and reliable. It's more difficult to shoot than a full-size pistol, but it's handy and you still have 10 rds on hand. It's simply a fun gun to shoot.

Agreed. Ms gata naranja still loves her SR22s, and I became something of a convert myself; so packable, easy to use and maintain that there is never any reason to NOT take an SR22 along. Ours all work with CCI Mini-Mags. If Ruger could put a better trigger pull on the things, we would see no need for anything else.

I will be the dissenting voice on the Ruger MkIV. I liked the MkI Target, loved the MkII Target, made the MkIII Target work, and detest the MkIV Target.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post

I will be the dissenting voice on the Ruger MkIV. I liked the MkI Target, loved the MkII Target, made the MkIII Target work, and detest the MkIV Target.

I am not a Rugerite at all, so what was going on there? Generations of people complaining that the original design was hard to assemble? Casting becoming cheaper than stamping?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am not a Rugerite at all, so what was going on there? Generations of people complaining that the original design was hard to assemble? Casting becoming cheaper than stamping?
    "Yes" on the former and "probably" on the latter.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    My recent experiences with current production 22 autos:

1) S&W M&P22 Compact - works great, thousands of rounds through it with no issues, not picky about ammo, fun suppressor host, great training / intro gun, several people that have shot it bought one afterwards. Been thinking about getting an AIWB holster for it for snake duty while working in the yard. Probably will order a set of Dawson Precision sights with a FO front and plain back rear for it.

2) Ruger LCPII Lite Rack - no recoil, surprisingly accurate, it hates anything Winchester, won't cycle Punch nor Velocitors, shoots all the other CCI stuff and cheap Federal bulk pack fine. Needs a good cleaning every 6-700 rounds maybe when I am shooting cheap crap in it. Wish it had some sight options. Got a kydex pocket holster and carry it sometimes when doing chores outside.

3) Taurus TX-22 - lots of fun, nice light full sized pistol with a 'normal' manual of arms. Only a couple hundred rounds so far (bought it used) but not picky about ammo at all. Not as accurate so far as the M&P22 compact but in fairness I have been shooting a lot of cheap crap ammo in it and mostly just dinking little steel plates or aluminum cans with it.

Question on the Mk IVs - does Ruger put a key lockout device in these, like they did previously?

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Question on the Mk IVs - does Ruger put a key lockout device in these, like they did previously?
    I didn’t notice one, so I just looked at the manual - they show a cable lock through the bolt.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Sig P322. Great reliability, 20-25 round capacity and optics ready. You can use it for dry firing practice all day with no harm. Outstanding gun.

Last edited by KentuckyWindage; 05-14-2024 at 06:06 AM.

^ Thats what I ended up going with yesterday. Put the Ruger towards a new 322.

User Tag List