Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Warrior Archetype

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I think of Band of Brothers. Captain Speirs was a warrior by all accounts and was cut from the same cloth as many warriors of lore. Major Winters eschewed violence, but who was a more effective soldier?
    SSGT "Wild" Bill Guarnere was another one from that unit to whom the term 'warrior' would well apply. Winters would describe him as a 'killer', and not in a bad way.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Let's remember the audience and the authors...

Like Stoics - the Samurai wrote things to be read by their PEERS. Once upon a time - being able to read and write meant, most assuredly, that you were wealthy or at least were under the patronage of the wealthy. The lessons contained in many of these historical volumes are lessons to be conveyed to mentees from mentors. They were not intended for the "lay" person to read and consider them. Does that mean they can't also be considered by a lay/prole/normie? Of course not. What it does mean, is just because you can put yourself in the shoes of the author - it doesn't make you that person. Nor does it mean that the lessons are actually for you.

I'd love nothing more than being a traveling scholar going from place to place learning what I wanted and when. Art, warfare, science, history - but that is simply not real. We don't live in a world where I can turn up some place and simply due to my status I can be guaranteed to be housed, fed, and supported. Which by-the-by is exactly how all "great philosophers" lived.

Tl;Dr: Just because you can picture yourself that way doesn't make it true. I can picture myself dating a super model and being ultra wealthy. That is - not - true.

You guys got wrapped up in choice of words and not the meaning behind it.

Might've missed "all the different types of people out there and the levels they (and I) am at."

I chose the words I did because I simply did not know of a alternative word that fit. To elaborate: if one chooses to carry defensive tools and a willingness to fight if needed, what word should be used whose meaning is understood by most?
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-05-2024 at 03:39 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    When I think of “warrior,” I think of characters like Achilles or Agamemnon, killers who loved war and were primarily motivated to conquer by a desire for personal glory and honor, men who “craved slaughter and blood and the choking groans of men.” Men who believed that what was best in life was, as Conan put it, “to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.” And not just in some metaphorical sense.
    That was the original definition of "hero" as well, since it is a Greek word.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Let's remember the audience and the authors...

Like Stoics - the Samurai wrote things to be read by their PEERS. Once upon a time - being able to read and write meant, most assuredly, that you were wealthy or at least were under the patronage of the wealthy. The lessons contained in many of these historical volumes are lessons to be conveyed to mentees from mentors. They were not intended for the "lay" person to read and consider them.
    This was heavily supported by the near "caste like" social hierarchy that existed in Japan then.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    To elaborate: if one chooses to carry defensive tools and a willingness to fight if needed, what word should be used whose meaning is understood by most?
    The word I would want is: citizen.

Sadly, it is nowhere near as representative as any of us would like.

I chose the words I did because I simply did not know of an alternative word that fit. To elaborate: if one chooses to carry defensive tools and a willingness to fight if needed, what word should be used whose meaning is understood by most?
    Nothing about choosing to carry defensive tools and being willing to defend yourself if needed requires I special word. There’s nothing special about that concept. Warrior is certainly not a word that concept applies to.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Well then I am mistaken.

I had hoped to have a discourse on the mindsets of the unarmed/unwilling to fight, to the talisman folks, to the practitioners.

Having thought on it Musashi wasn't really a warrior either, just a skilled swordsman.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    To elaborate: if one chooses to carry defensive tools and a willingness to fight if needed, what word should be used whose meaning is understood by most?
    Is “woke” taken? I think it fits pretty well.

Site Supporter
    Well then I am mistaken.

I had hoped to have a discourse on the mindsets of the unarmed/unwilling to fight, to the talisman folks, to the practitioners.

Having thought on it Musashi wasn't really a warrior either, just a skilled swordsman.
    On a serious note, I do think I get what you’re driving at. My inclination is that warrior is not the right word. It implies war, and that’s not how LE should operate, nor how self-defenders should approach self defense. I agree with you that there is a type of person who is mature, skilled, armed, calm, and ready, should the need arise, to act. I call that group “the people I want to serve warrants with”.

User Tag List